Association of Invasive Shigella Strains with Epithelial Cells
Shigellae are facultative intracellular parasites multiplying in the cytoplasm of the epithelial cells of the large intestine. The capability of shigellae to invade epithelial cells grown in tissue cultures showed a close correlation with their virulence (1). This phenotype is regulated by the growth temperature, and is related to the presence of a 140 Md plasmid. The plasmid codes for a set of proteins, some of which (ipaB, C, D) known to be essential for the invasiveness. However, the role(s) of these proteins in the invasion process is not known (for review see 2).
KeywordsHeLa Cell Shigella Flexneri Host Cell Membrane Shigella Dysenteriae Shigella Sonnei
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.H. Ogawa, A. Nakamura and R. Nakaya: Cinematographic study of tissue cell cultures infected with Shigella flexneri. Japan J. Med. Sci. Biol. 21:259 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.T.L. Hale, P.A. Schad and S.B. Formal: The envelope and tissue invasion. In: “Medical Microbiology” Vol. 3., E.F. Easmon, Ed., p:87–108, Academic Press, London (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.L. Edebo, E. Kihlström, K.-E. Magnusson and O. Stendahl: The hydrophobic effect and charge effects in the adhesion of enterobacteria to animal cell surfaces and the influences of antibodies of different immunoglobulin classes: In: “Cell adhesion and motility”, A.S.G. Curtis and J.D. Pitts, ed., p. 65–101, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.L. Edebo, K.-E. Magnusson and O. Stendahl: Physico-chemical surface properties of Shigella sonnei. Acta Path. Microbiol. Immunol. Scand. Sect. B. 91:101 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.F. Qadri, S.A. Hossain, I. Ciznar, K. Haider, A. Ljungh, T. Wadström and D. Sack: Congo red binding and salt aggregation as indicators of virulence in shigella species. Infect. Immun. 26:1343 (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.M.M. Binns, S. Vaughan and K.N. Timmis: O-antigens are essential virulence factors of Shigella sonnei and Shigella dysenteriae 1. Zbl. Bakt. Hyg., I. Abt. Orig. B. 181:197 (1985).Google Scholar
- 18.V.G. Petrovskaya, V.M. Bondarenko and L.V. Mirolyubova: The problem of interaction of shigella with epithelial cells. Zbl. Bakt. Hyg., I. Abt. Orig. A. 243:57 (1979).Google Scholar