Postpartum Thyroid Disease
Graves’ disease was first described by Caleb H. Parry in 1825. The first case among his 6 patients seen in 1786 had experienced palpitation, neck swelling and protrusion of eyes after delivery(1). Thus the first patients with Graves’ (Parry’s) disease described in the medical literature was of postpartum onset. In 1840, Karl A. von Basedow reported 4 cases of Graves’ (Basedow’s) disease(2). Interestingly, one of his 3 female patients was also a case of postpartum onset. Reviewing these old reports, it is likely that postpartum onset of Graves’ disease may be frequently observed in the general population. However, little is known about the mechanism of postpartum onset of Graves’ disease.
KeywordsThyroid Dysfunction Goiter Size Transient Hypothyroidism Transient Thyrotoxicosis Postpartum Onset
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.H. Parry, Enlargement of the thyroid gland in connection with enlargement or palpitation of the heart. In Collection from the Unpublished Papers of the late Caleb Hilliel Parry 2:111 London (1825).Google Scholar
- 2.K.A. von. Basedow, Exophthalmos durch Hypertrophie des Zellgewebes in der Augenhohle. Wochenschr. Heilk. 6: 197, 220 (1840).Google Scholar
- 3.H.L. Sheehan, Simmonds’s disease due to post-partum necrosis of the anterior pituitary. Q. J. Med. 8: 277 (1939).Google Scholar
- 4.H.E.W. Roberton, Lassitude, coldness, and hair changes following pregnancy, and their response to treatment with thyroid extract. Brit. Med. J. 2:Supp1: 2275 (1948).Google Scholar
- 8.N. Amino and K. Miyai, Postpartum autoimmune endocrine syndromes. In Davies TF (ed), Autoimmune Endocrine Disease, John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 247–272 (1983).Google Scholar
- 17.N. Amino, Are silent thyroiditis and postpartum silent thyroiditis forms of chronic thyroiditis or different (new) forms of viral thyroiditis?: a commentary. In: Hamburger J.I., Miller (eds), Controversies in Clinical Thyroidology J.M., Springer-Verlag, New York.31:6 (1981).Google Scholar
- 18.J. Tachi, N. Amino, H. Tamaki et al., Long term follow-up and HLA association in patients with postpartum hypothyroidism. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 66: 48 (1988).Google Scholar
- 21.Y. Iwatani, N. Amino, J. Tachi et al., Changes of lymphocyte subsets in normal pregnant and postpartum women: Postpartum increase of NK/K (Leu 7) cells. Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 18: 52 (1988).Google Scholar