Al Metal Point Contact to B-Doped Diamond Films
The mechanical, thermal, optical, and electrical properties of diamond have been shown to be superior to those of other materials[1,2,3,4]. These properties can be utilized in a wide range of optoelectronic device applications as well as for extreme environmental conditions[5,6]. Chemical vapor deposition(CVD) of diamond offers an attractive solution for obtaining semiconducting diamond thin films. In order to exploit the electronic properties of these polycrystalline films, it is critical to evaluate the properties of electrical contacts to the diamond surface. In particular, reliable ohmic and rectifying contact technologies have been difficult to develop and reproduce. Recently, the formation of Schottky contacts to polycrystalline diamond films have been reported[7,8], but the relationship between the rectifying characteristics and the quantity of B impurities incorporated into the films was not examined.
KeywordsPoint Contact Barrier Height Diamond Film Forward Bias Schottky Contact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. E. Field, The Properties of Diamond,Academic Press(1979).Google Scholar
- 3.V. K. Bazhenov, I. M. Vikulin, and A. G. Gontar, Sov. Phys. Semicond. 19(8), 829, August(1985).Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Vavilov, and E. A. Konorova, Soy. Phys. Usp., Vol. 19, No. 4, 301, April(1976).Google Scholar
- 5.M. W. Geiss, D. D. Rachman, D. J. Ehrlich, R. A. Murphy, and W. T. Lindley, IEEE Electron Device Lett., EDL8, 341 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Wolfe, and J. Woods, Phys. Rev. Vol. 105, No. 3, 921, February(1956).Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Mori, H. Kawarada, Y. Yokota, and A. Hiraki, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting, Boston, December (1989) paper F5. 7.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Kobashi, K. Nishimura, Y. Kawate, and T. Horiuchi, Phys. Rev. B, 38, 6, 4067.Google Scholar
- 10.E. H. Rhoderick, and R. H. Williams, Metal-semiconductor contacts. Second edition, Oxford University Press (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc (1981).Google Scholar
- 12.M. A. Lampert, and P. Mark, Current Injection In Solids,Academic Press (1970).Google Scholar
- 13.R. A. Clarke, M. A. Green, and J. Shewchun, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 3, March (1974) pp. 1442–1443.Google Scholar
- 14.A. V. Bogdanov, I. M. Vikulin, and T. V. Bogdanova, Soy. Phys. Semicond. 16(6), June (1982) pp. 720–721.Google Scholar