RF Plasma Deposition of a-C:H Films: Diagnostics and Modeling
The low temperature deposition of amorphous carbon films from hydrocarbons plasmas has been the subject of several recent works 3 but the relationship between plasma processes and film growth is still not completely understood. As a contribution to this topic we report an experimental and theoretical study of plasma processes in the RF deposition of a-C:H films from methane/hydrogen gas mixtures. The plasma is characterized by both electrical probes and optical emission spectroscopy, obtaining electron density, electron mean energy, atomic hydrogen and CH radical concentrations. Deposition rates of carbon layers are measured as a function of feedstock gases composition. A simplified kinetic model of plasma bulk is also developed and calculated equilibrium distributions of chemical species are compared with experimental data.
KeywordsDeposition Rate Plasma Bulk Amorphous Carbon Film Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Stiff Ordinary Differential Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. E. Spear, Diamond-Ceramic coating of the future, J. Am. Cer. Soc. 72–171 (1989).Google Scholar
- 2.J. C. Angus, and C.C. Hayman, Low-pressure,metastable growth of Diamond and “Diamondlike” phases, Science 241–913 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Bubenzer, B. Dischler, G. Brand, and P. Koidl, RF-plasma deposited amorphous hydrogenated hard carbon thin films: Preparation, properties, and applications, J. Appl. Phys. 54–4590 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.N. Matsukura, M. Ohuchi, S. Satoh, and Y. Machi, The analyses of an SiF4 plasma in an R.F. glow discharge for preparing fluorinated amorphous silicon thin films, Thin Solid Films 109–47 (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.L. E. Kline, W.D. Partlow, and E. Bies, Electron and chemical kinetics in methane RF glow-discharge deposition rates, J. Appl. Phys. 65–70 (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Kojima, H. Toyoda, and H. Sugai, Observation of CH2 radical and comparison with CH3 radical in a RF methane discharge, Appl. Phys. Lett. 55–1292 (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Tachibana, M. Nishida, H. Harima, and Y. Urano, Diagnostics and modelling of a methane plasma used in the chemical vapour deposition of amorphous carbon films, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 17–1727 (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Kobayashi, N. Mutsukura, and Y. Machi, Deposition of hard carbon films by RF glow discharge method, J. Appl. Phys. 59–910 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Wagner, Ch. Wild, F.Pohl, and P. Koidl, Optical studies of hydrogenated amorphous carbon plasma deposition, Appl. Phys.Lett. 48–106 (1986).Google Scholar