Mass-Spectroscopy of Sputtered Neutral Particles During the Growth of a-C:H Films
Despite of the scientific interest in amorphous hydrogen containing diamondlike films (a-C:H), their growth mechanism is not fully understood. One of the unclarified aspects is the mass balance during film growth. It has been observed that only a fraction of the carbon atoms hitting the sample surface are incorporated into the growing film. Angus et al. /1/ found carbon sticking-coefficients between 0.13 and 0.41 using hydrocarbon/argon-beams at 100 eV while Miyazawa et al. /2/reported sticking-coefficients of 0.53 and 0.26 using a mass-separated C+-beam of 300 eV and 600 eV, respectively. In both investigations the deposition coefficient was determined from film thickness measurements. Also our previous measurements /3/ with 600 eV ethane ions incident on various substrates raised questions concerning the nature of the channels which may balance the incoming carbon flux.
KeywordsFilm Growth Neutral Particle Growth Profile Auger Signal Average Binding Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.J.C. Angus, M.J. Mirtich, E.G. Wintucky, ‘Ion beam deposition of amorphous carbon films with diamondlike properties’ in ’Metastable Material Formation by Ion Implantation’, Eds: S.T. Picraux, W.J. Choyke, Elsevier, Amsterdam 1982, S. 433Google Scholar
- /3/.K.G. Tschersich, U. Littmark, E-MRS-Meeting, Vol. X VII, June 1987Google Scholar
- /9/.A. Benninghoven, E.G. RUdenauer, H.W. Werner in Second Ion Mass Spectrometry, Chemical Analysis Vol. 86, John Wiley & Sons (1987)Google Scholar
- /11/.J.C. Angus, P. Koidl, S. Domitz in ‘Plasma Deposited Thin Films’ (Ed. J. Mort, F. Jansen), Chapter 4: ’Carbon Thin Films’, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA (1986)Google Scholar
- /12/.K.G. Tschersich, J. Nucl. Mater. 162–164, 887 (1989)Google Scholar
- /13/.to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- /14/.P. Sigmund in Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 47: Sputtering by Particle Bombardment I, R. Behrisch ( Ed. ), Springer Berlin 1981, S. 9Google Scholar
- /15/.P.C. Zalm, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B2(2), 151 (1984)Google Scholar
- /16/.E. G. Spencer, P.H. Schmidt, D.C. Joy, F.J. Sansalone, Appl. Phys. Lett. 29, 118 (1976)Google Scholar