Space Time Complexity in Quantum Optics
Two recent experiments in quantum optics, namely, i) a waveguide laser supporting many transverse modes, and ii) an optical cavity with a photorefractive gain medium and a variable aperture have displayed controllable routes to space complexity. This fills the gap between the single mode dynamics and the many domain turbulent-like behavior, which so far was unreachable for a radiation field. Due to the high accuracy of optical measurements, we foresee a precise way to test many conjectures formulated for fluids or other nonlinear field problems. Thus we have called this new research area “dry hydrodynamics”.
chaotic itinerancy = self induced switching among different slow manifolds
Space-Time Chaos (STC) = high dimensional chaos, with strongly non Gaussian statistics in real space, but with a Gaussian spectral statistics, up to a critical wave number given by the reciprocal of the correlation length.
KeywordsVortex Convection Manifold Argon Coherence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Von Neumann, Theory of self-reproducing automata, ed. by A. W. Burks, University of Illinois Press, 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.a.F.T. Arecchi, in Quantum Optics ed. by R. J. Glauber, (Academic Press, New York, 1969), p. 57,Google Scholar
- 2b.F.T. Arecchi in Order and fluctuations in equilibrium and non equilibrium statistical mechanics, Proc. XVII Int. Solvay Conference on Physics edited by G. Nicolis, G. Dewel and J.V. Turner, (J. Wiley, 1981), p. 107.Google Scholar
- 3.For a review of these phenomena, as well as for a critical discussion on such a term, see the Proc. of the XVII Solvay Conference on Physics, referred to in Ref. 2b).Google Scholar
- 6.See the reference to the work of M. Von Laue in: A. Sommerfeld, Optics, (Academic Press, New York 1954), p. 194.Google Scholar
- 11.In solid state lasers, reports on random spiking go back to the first ruby laser, cfr: T. Maiman, Nature 187, 463 (1967) and Phys. Rev. 123, 1145 (1961).Google Scholar
- 19.L.D. Landau and V.L. Ginzburg, On the theory of Superconductivity, in Collected papers of L.D. Landau ed. D. Terhaar, (Pergamon Press 1965), p. 217.Google Scholar
- 25.M. Brambilla, F. Battipede, L.A. Lugiato, V. Penna, F. Prati, C. Tamm and C.O. Weiss, “Transverse Laser Patterns I. Phase Singularity Crystals” and M. Brambilla, L.A. Lugiato, V. Penna, F. Prati, C. Tamm and C.O. Weiss, “Transverse Laser Patterns II. Variational Principle for Pattern-Selection, Spatial Multistability, Laser Hydrodynamics” submitted to Phys. Rev. A.Google Scholar
- 27.K. Otsuka and K. Ikeda, Global chaos in a discrete time-dependent CGL Equation, Preprint 1990.Google Scholar
- 30.M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon, Oxford 1980.Google Scholar