Why does a Difference in Growth Rate between Rats of the Wistar and Sprague Dawley Strains Occur when a Niacin-Free and Tryptophan-Limiting Diet is Fed?
In the course of our experiments on tryptophan (Trp)-NAD metabolism, we have found that the rats of the Sprague-Dawley (SD) strain showed good growth as compared to those of the Wistar strain (Shibata et al., 1980) when they were fed a niacin-free diet containing 8.0 % amino acid mixture simulating rice protein supplemented with some limiting amino acid except for Trp (Yo-shida, 1971). We also found that the total amounts of Trp metabolites in liver, kidneys and urine were higher in the SD strain than in the Wistar strain (Shibata et al., 1982). These findings prompted us to compare enzyme activities involved in the Trp-NAD pathway in the two strains of rats fed a normal diet.
KeywordsQuinolinic Acid Anthranilic Acid Amino Acid Mixture Wistar Strain Limit Amino Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Honjo, T., 1971, Nicotinate phosphoribosyltransferase from baker’s yeast, in: “Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 18B”, McCormick, D.B., and Wright, L.D., eds., Academic Press, New York, pp. 123–127.Google Scholar
- Ichiyama, A., Nakamura, S., Kawai, H., Honjo, T., Nishizuka, Y., Hayaishi, O., and Senoh, S., 1965, Studies on the metabolism of the benzene ring of tryptophan in mammalian tissues; Enzymic formation of α-aminomuconic acid from 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid, J. Biol Chem., 240: 740–749.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Knox, W.E., Yip, A., and Reshef, L., 1970, L-tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase (tryptophan pyrrolase) (rat liver), in: “Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 17A”, Tabor, H., and Tabor, C.W., eds., Academic Press, New York, pp. 415–421.Google Scholar
- Kurokawa, M., Kato, T., and Inamura, H., 1966, Unequal distribution of ATP: NMN adenylyltransferase activity among neuronal and glial cell nuclei, Proc. Jap. Acad., 42: 1217–1222.Google Scholar
- Shibata, K., Motooka, K., and Murata, K., 1980, Difference in growth rates between Wistar and Sprague Dawley strains of rats fed on the tryptophan-limiting diet, Bull. Teikoku-Gakuen, 6: 1–6.Google Scholar
- Yu, C.K., and Dietrich, L.S., 1972, Purification and properties of yeast nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide synthetase, J. Biol. Chem., 247: 4794–4802.Google Scholar