Pellagra, Mycotoxins and Tryptophan-Niacin Metabolism
Pellagra has long been known to be a nutritional syndrome caused by nia-cin deficiency. Endemic pellagra has been traditionally associated with consumption of corn-based diet and is uncommon where rice or wheat is the staple food. Pellagra, in an endemic form among sorghum (Sorghum vulgare) eaters, was first described among poor agricultural laborers in Hyderabad, India (Gopalan and Srikantia, 1960). Extensive studies from India have shown that leucine toxicity, leucine-isoleucine imbalance and concomitant deficiency of vitamin B6 may be the causative factors in the pathogenesis of pellagra in sorghum eaters (Srikantia, 1978). Several studies in pellagrins and in experimental animals have shown that there is a disturbance in tryptophan-nia-cin metabolism. Although rats do not show the characteristic dermal changes of pellagra, they show a biochemical disturbance of the tryptophan-niacin pathway.
KeywordsQuinolinic Acid Pyridine Nucleotide Primary Health Centre Mycotoxin Contamination Sorghum Vulgare
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon, 1979, Perspective of mycotoxins, FAO, Food and Nutrition paper 13, FAO, Un, Rome, pp. 1–167.Google Scholar
- Booth, C., 1971, Introduction of general methods, in: “Methods in Microbiology”, Vol. 4, Booth, C., ed., Academic Press, New York, pp. 4–47.Google Scholar
- Sashidhar, R.B., Ramakrishna, Y., and Bhat, R.V., 1989, Moulds and mycotoxins in sorghum stored in traditional containers in India, J. St. Prod. Res., in press.Google Scholar
- Sashidhar, R.B., and Rao, B.S.N., 1988, Non-competitive enzyme linked immuno-sorbent assay for detection of aflatoxin B1, 26: 984–989.Google Scholar
- Sashidhar, R.B., Rao, K.S.J., and Rao, B.S.N., 1988a, Effect of dietary afla-toxins on tryptophan-niacin metabolism, Nutr. Rep. Int., 37: 515–521.Google Scholar
- Sashidhar, R.B., Rao, K.S.J., and Rao, B.S.N., 1988b, Effect of dietary T-2 toxin on tryptophan-niacin metabolism, Nutr. Rep. Int., 37: 867–873.Google Scholar
- Sashidhar, R.B., Rao, K.S.J., and Rao, B.S.N., 1989, Effect of dietary afla-toxins on nicotinamide nucleotide synthesis in liver, Nutr. Rep. Int., 31: 1037–1043.Google Scholar
- Srikantia, S.G., 1978, Endemic pellagra among jowar eaters, Ind. J. Med. Res. Suppl., 68: 38–47.Google Scholar