Regulation and Physiological Function of Insulin-Like Growth Factors in the Central Nervous System
The function of insulin-like growth factors in the central nervous system (CNS) and the physiological regulators of brain and pituitary IGF synthesis has been studied from many perspectives. Until recently, these efforts have not met with great success. However as more laboratories obtain the means to study IGF mRNA and peptide synthesis the multifaceted approach of investigation has provided new insights on growth factor metabolism.
KeywordsMedian Eminence Body Weight Regulation Inhibit Food Intake Sweetened Condensed Milk Remote Catheter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyles, J.K., Hui, D.Y., Weisgraber, K.H., Pitas, R.E. and Mahley, R.W. (1987) Expression of apolipoprotein B,E(LDL) receptors and uptake of apolipoprotein E-containing lipoproteins by the regenerating rat sciatic nerve. Neuroscience 13(1):294.Google Scholar
- Brown, A. L., Graham, D.E., Nissley, S.P., Hill, D.J., Strain, A.J. and Rechler, M.M. (1985) Developmental regulation of insulin-like growth factor II mRNA in different rat tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry 261(28):13144– 13150.Google Scholar
- Guyda, H., Posner, B.I. and Rappaport, R. (1981) Insulin-like growth factors. pp 205–229 in: Pediatric Endocrinology (R. Collu, J. Ducharme and H. Guyda, eds.) Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Lattemann, D.F., King, M.G., Szot, P. and Baskin, D.G. (1989) Insulin-like growth factors as regulatory peptides in the adult rat brain. In: LeRoith, D. and Raizada, M.K. (eds.) Molecular and Cellular Biology of Insulin-like Growth Factors and Their Receptors, pp. 427–434, Plenum Press, New York.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lauterio, T.J., Marson, L., Della-Fera, M.A. and Baile, C.A. (1987b) Insulinlike growth factor in rat brain: distribution of IGF-II neurons and fibers and peptide concentration changes with fed state. Neuroscience 13(1):611 AbstractGoogle Scholar
- Pitas, R.E., Boyles, J.K., Lee, S.H., Foss, D. and Mahley, R.W. (1987) Astrocytes synthesize apolipoprotein E and metabolize apolipoprotein E-containing lipoproteins. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 917:148–161.Google Scholar
- Posner, B. I., Guyda, H.J., Corvol, M.T., Rappaport, R., Harley, C. and Goldstein, S. (1978) Partial purification, characterization and assay of a slightly acidic insulin-like peptide (ILAs) from human plasma. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 47:1240–1250.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wardzala, L.J., Simpson, I.A., Rechler, M.M. and Cushman, S.W. (1984) Potential mechanism of the stimulatory action of insulin on insulin-like growth factor II binding to the isolated rat adipose cell. Apparent redistribution of receptors cycling between a large intracellular pool and the plasma membrane. Journal of Biological Chemistry 259:8378–8383.PubMedGoogle Scholar