Single sc Administration of Insulin-Like Growth Factor I (IGF-I) in Normal Men
Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) has been synthesized by recombinant DNA technology (1). With the availability of large quantities of the biosynthetic peptide, the biological effects have been studied in animals in vivo. We have previously reported that IGF-I has growth promoting, anabolic, and insulin-like effects in hypophysectomized and normal rats, and IGF-I inhibits catabolism in fasted rats in vivo (2–5). Recently, the biological effects of IGF-I have been studied in normal men and patients with Laron-type dwarfism (6–9). We have also studied effects of IGF-I single sc administration in normal men (10). In this paper, the results of the single sc administration of IGF-I combined with our previous data (10) are reported.
KeywordsGrowth Hormone Growth Hormone Secretion Decrease Blood Glucose Level Urinary Urea Nitrogen Urinary Growth Hormone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Niwa M, Sato S, Saito Y, Uchiyama F, Ono H, Yamashita M, Kitaguchi Y, Shiga Y, Notani J, Yamada H, Ishii Y, Ueda I and Takagi Y. Chemical synthesis, cloning, and expression of genes for human somatomedin C (insulin-like growth factor I) and 59Val-somatomedin C. Ann NY Acad Sci 469:31–52 (1986).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Hizuka N, Takano K, Asakawa K, Sukegawa I, Horikawa R, Kikuchi H and Shizume K. Biological action of insulin-like growth factor-I in vivo. In: Bercu BB (ed) Basic and Clinical Aspects of Growth Hormone Plenum Press New York p. 223–231 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Hizuka N, Takano K, Asakawa K, Shizume K and Kikuchi H. Biological effects of insulin-like growth factor I in vivo. Gunma Symposia on Endocrinology 25:137–U7 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.Daughaday WH, Mariz IK and Blethen SK. Inhibition of access of bound somatomedin to membrane receptor and immunobinding sites: a comparison of radioreceptor and radioimmunoassay of somatomedin in native and acid-ethanol-extracted serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 51:781–788 (1980).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hizuka N, Takano K, Asakawa K, Sukegawa I, Fukuda I, Demura H, Iwashita M, Adachi T and Shizume K. Measurement of free form of insulin-like growth factor I in human plasma. Growth Regulation submitted.Google Scholar
- 14.Asakawa K, Hizuka N, Takano K, Fukuda I, Sukegawa I, Demura H and Shizume K Radioimmunoassay for insulin-like growth factor II (IGF-II). Endocrinol Japon 37:in press (1990).Google Scholar