Vortex Creation in Superfluid Helium-4
The hydrodynamics and the transport properties of bulk superfluid 4He are dominated by quantized vortices1–3. Many aspects of their behaviour, for example the physics both of individual vortex lines3 and of random tangles of vorticity (quantum turbulence)3–6 can now be regarded as being reasonably well understood. A notable gap in our physical understanding, however, relates to the long-standing question of how the vortex lines appear in the liquid in the first place. The present paper attempts to address this question in the light, particularly, of recent experimental results.
KeywordsVortex Ring Liquid Helium Critical Velocity Vortex Line Vortex Loop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H London, “Low Temperatures: A Report on the International Conference in Cambridge”, Physical Society, London (1947); and p151 of F London, “Super-fluids”, Wiley, New York (1954).Google Scholar
- 3.R J Donnelly, “Quantized vortices in He II”, CUP, Cambridge (1990) and refer ences therein.Google Scholar
- K W Schwarz, Turbulence in superfluid helium: steady homogeneous counterflow, Three-dimensional vortex dynamics in superfluid 4HeGoogle Scholar
- K W Schwarz, Turbulence in superfluid helium: steady homogeneous counterflow, ibid 31:5782 (1985)Google Scholar
- K W Schwarz, Turbulence in superfluid helium: steady homogeneous counterflow, ibid 38:2 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.J T Tough, Superfluid turbulence, in “Progress in Low Temperature Physics”, vol. VIII, D F Brewer, ed., pp 133–219, North-Holland, Amsterdam (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.A L Fetter, Ions and vortices in liquid helium, in “The Physics of Liquid and Solid Helium”, K H Bennemann and J B Ketterson, ed., pp 207–305, Wiley, New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 24.W F Vinen, “Liquid Helium: Proceedings of the International School of Physics Enrico Fermi”, course XXI, pp 336–355, Acadmic Press, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- 34.P C Hendry, N S Lawson, C D H Williams, P V E McClintock and R M Rowley, Inhibition of vortex nucleation by phonons in He II, in “Elementary Excitations in Quantum Fluids”, K Ohbayashi and M Watabe, ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1989).Google Scholar
- 35.P C Hendry, N S Lawson, P V E McClintock, C D H Williams and R M Bowley, The breakdown of superfluidity in liquid 4He VI: Macroscopic quantum tunnelling by vortices in isotopically pure He II, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (Lond.) A (in press).Google Scholar
- 42.D O Edwards and W F Saarn, The free surface of liquid helium, in “Progress in Low Temperature Physics”, vol VII A, D F Brewer, ed., pp 283–369, North-Holland, Amsterdam (1978).Google Scholar