Low Temperature Heat Capacity of 4He Films in Vycor
Precision heat capacity results of thin 4He films adsorbed in Vycor are presented. We found a sharp heat capacity peak at the superfluid transition and evidence of monolayer completion. The temperature dependence of the heat capacity in various coverage regimes is analyzed in terms of one and two dimensional excitations.
KeywordsHeat Capacity Torsional Oscillator Adsorbed Film Superfluid Transition Vycor Glass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.For a comprehensive review of studies of the superfluid transition of 4He in porous media up to 1975, see D. F. Brewer in The Physics of Liquid and Solid Helium, eds. K. H. Bennemann and J. B. Ketterson (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1978)(, Ch. 6, p. 573.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Wiltzius, F. S. Bates, S. B. Dierker and G. D. Wignall, Phys. Rev. 36, 2991 (1987); D. W. Schaefer, B. C. Bunker and J. P. Wilcoxon, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 284 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.C. W. Kiewiet, H. E. Hall and J. D. Reppy, Phys. Rev. Lett. —35, 1286 (1975).Google Scholar
- 10.R. H. Tait and J. D. Reppy, Phys. Rev. B-20, 997 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.K. A. Gillis, S. Mukherjee, A. Wong and M. H. W. Chan, to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Stauffer, M. Ferer and M. Wortis, Phys. Rev. Lett. 29, 345 (1972).Google Scholar
- 14.M. H. W. Chan, Proceedings of 19th Intern. Conf. on Low Temp. Physics, Brighton, 1990.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Finotello, A. Wong, K. A. Gillis, D. D. Awschalom and M. H. W. Chan, Proceed. 18th Int. Conf. on Low Temp. Physics, Jpn. J. of App. Phys., Vol. 26, Supp. 26–3, 283 (1987).Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Takano and J. D. Reppy, private communication.Google Scholar