Cystic Fibrosis — A Strategy for the Future
The identification of the cystic fibrosis locus must be regarded as a major triumph for human molecular genetics. In less than five years, it has been possible to move from the designation of the chromosomal location of CF to the identification of the previously unknown protein which is mutated. This work is a credit to all of the groups which participated in it, and particularly to the Toronto and Ann Arbor groups, which identified the sequence coding for the cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator as the mutated gene. However, as powerful as molecular genetics is, it can only provide the first step towards understanding the correlation between structure and function for CFTR, analysing the clinical correlates between gene and pathology, gaining knowledge of the population genetics of CF (including the numbers of mutations, as well as the question of whether or not there is a carrier advantage), and progressing to prevention through carrier testing in the community and to treatment through the development of pharmaceuticals and (ultimately) somatic gene therapy. The solutions to these problems will require the recruitment of new groups, with different techniques, to the CF research community.
KeywordsArthritis Europe Lawson Preven Talamo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beaudet, A., Bowcock, A., Buchwald, M., Cavalli-Sforza, L., Farrall, M., King, M.C., Klinger, K., Lalouel, J.-L., Lathrop, G., Naylor, S., Ott, J., Tsui, L.-C., Wainwright, B., Watkings, P., White, R., Williamson, R., 1986, Linkage of Cystic Fibrosis to Two Tightly Linked DNA Markers: Joint Report from a Collaborative Study, Am. J. Hum. Genet., 39:681.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Estivill, X., Farrall, M., Scambler, P.J., Bell, G.M., Hawley, K.M.F., Lench, N.J., Bates, G.P., Kruyer, H.C., Frederick, P.A., Stanier, P., Watson, E.K., Williamson, R., Wainwright, B. J., 1987, A Candidate for the Cystic Fibrosis Locus Isolated by Selection for HTF Islands, Nature, 326:840.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Riordan, J.R., Rommens, J.M., Kerem, B., Alon, N., Rozmahel, R., Grzelczak, J., Lok, S., Plasvic, N., Chou, J.L., Drumm, M.L., Iannuzzi, M.C., Collins, F.S., Tsui, L.-C., 1989, Identification of the Cystic Fibrosis Gene: Cloning and Characterisation of Complementary DNA, Science, 245:1066.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rommens, J.M., Iannuzzi, M.C., Kerem, B., Drumm, M.L., Melmer, G., Dean, M., Rozmahel, R., Cole, J.L., Kennedy, D., Idaka, N., Zsiga, M., Buchwald, M., Riordan, J.R., Tsui, L.-C., Collins, F.S., 1989, Identification of the Cystic Fibrosis Gene: Chromosome Walking and Jumping, Science, 245:1059.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Romeo, G., 1984, Cystic Fibrosis: A Single Locus Disease in: Cystic Fibrosis: Horizons, D. Lawson, ed., Wiley, London.Google Scholar
- Talamo, R.C., Rosenstein, B.J., Berninger, R.W., 1983, Cystic Fibrosis, in: The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, D. Stanbury, ed., McGraw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Tsui LC, Buchwald, M., Barker, D., Braman, J.C., Knowlton, R., Schumm, J.W., Eiberg, H., Mohr, J., Kennedy, D., Plavsik, N., Zsiga, M., Markiewicz, D., Akots, G., Brown, V., Helms, C., Gravius, T., Parker, C., Rediker, K., Donis-Keller, H., 1985, Cystic Fibrosis Locus Defined by a Genetically Linked Polymorphic DNA Marker, Science 230:1054.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Williamson, R., Gilliam, C.T., Blaxter, M., Scambler, P., Robbins, T.P., Davies, K.E., 1984, Gene cloning -a Tool to Find the Basic Defect in Cystic Fibrosis, in: Cystic Fibrosis: Horizons, D. Lawson, ed., Wiley, London.Google Scholar