A 5’ Splice Site is Essential for REV and REX Regulation of HIV Envelope Protein mRNA Expression
The organization of the HIV genome is much more complex than that of most other retroviruses (for a review see (1)). This is due to the presence of several regulatory genes in addition to the structural genes gag, pol and env. This complexity is reflected by the large number of different subgenomic mRNAs found in HIV infected cells (2). A proper balance between these mRNAs has to be achieved to ensure appropriate expression of the different viral proteins.
KeywordsHuman Immunodeficiency Virus Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type Splice Site Subgenomic mRNAs Human Immunodeficiency Virus Envelope Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hauber, J., M. Bouvier, M. H. Malim and B. R. Cullen. Phosphorylation of the rev gene product of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J Virol. 62: 48014804, (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Felber, B. K., M. Hadzopoulou-Cladaras, C. Cladaras, T. Copeland and G. N. Pavlakis. Rev protein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 affects the stability and transport of the viral mRNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 86: 14961499, (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.Dayton, A. I., E. F. Terwilliger, J. Potz, M. Kowalski, J. G. Sodroski and W. A. Haseltine. Cis-acting sequences responsive to the rev gene product of the human immunodeficiency virus. J. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 1: 441–452, (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.Hadzopoulou-Cladaras, M., B. K. Felber, C. Cladaras, A. Athanassopoulos, A. Tse and G. N. Pavlakis. The rev (trs/art) protein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 affects viral mRNA and protein expression via a cis-acting sequence in the env region. J Virol. 63: 1265–1274, (1989).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Zapp, M. L. and M. R. Green. Sequence-specific RNA binding by the HIV-1 Rev protein. Nature. 342: 714–716, (1989).Google Scholar
- 20.Hanly, S. M., L. T. Rimsky, M. H. Malim, J. H. Kim, J. Hauber, D. M. Duc, S. Y. Le, J. V. Maizel, B. R. Cullen and W. C. Greene. Comparative analysis of the HTLV-I rex and HIV-1 rev trans-regulatory proteins and their RNA response elements. Genes Dev. 3: 1534–1544, (1989).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Felber, B.K., D. Derse, A Athanassopoulos, M. Campbell and G.N. Pavalakis. Cross-activation of the rex proteins of HTLV-I and BLV and of the rev protein of HIV-1 and nonreciprocal interactions with their RNA Responsive Elements. New Biologist 1: 318–330Google Scholar