Functions of a Co-Transmitter, Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide, on the Neuromuscular Junction
Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) is a peptide that is synthesized in nervous tissues by a different processing of the messenger RNA for calcitonin (Amara et al.,1982; Rosenfeld et al.,1983) . A wide, but non-random distribution of CGRP-like immunoreactive structures in the central and peripheral nervous system has been demonstrated by immunohistochemistry and radioimmunoassay (Rosenfeld et al.,1983; Gibson et al.,1984; Kawai et al.,1985). CGRP has been shown to cause physiological responses and to have specific binding sites, suggesting that it is a neurotransmitter or neuromodulator.
KeywordsAdenylate Cyclase Phrenic Nerve Skeletal Muscle Cell Adenylate Cyclase Activity CGRP Receptor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gibson, S. J., Polak, J. ML., Bloom, S. R., Sabate, I. M., Mulderry, P. M., Chatei, M. A., McGregor, G. P., Morrison, J. F. B., Kelly, J. S., Evans, R. M., and Rosenfeld, M. G., 1984, Calcitonin gene-related peptide immunoreactivity in spinal cord of man and of eight other species. J. Neuroscience, 4:3101–3111.Google Scholar
- Gibson, S. J., Polak, J. M., Giaid, A., Hamid, Q. A., Kar, S., Jones, P. M., Denny, P., Legon, S., Amara, S. G., Craig, R. K., Bloom, S. R., Penketh, R. J. A., Rodek, C., Ibrachim, N. B. N., and Dawson, A., 1988, Calcitonin gene-related peptide messenger RNA is expressed in sensory neurones of dorsal root ganglia and also in spinal motoneurons in man and rat. Neurosci. Lett., 91:283–288.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lentz, T. L., 1972, A role of cyclic AMP in a neurotropic process. Nature (New Biology), 238:154–155.Google Scholar
- Takami, K., Kawai, Y., Shiosaka, S., Lee, Y., Girgis, S., Hillyard, C. J., MacIntyre, I., Emson P. C., and Tohyama, M., 1985A, Immunohistochemical evidence for coexistence of calcitonin gene-related peptide-and choline acetyltransferase-like immunoreactivity in neurons of the rat hypoglossal, facial and ambiguus nuclei. Brain Res., 328:386–389.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uchida, S., Yamamoto, H., Iio, S., Matsumoto, N., Wang, X. -B., Yonehara, N., Imai, Y., Inoki, R., and Yoshida, H., in press, Release of CGRP-like immunoreactive substance from neuromuscular junction by nerve excitation and its action on striated muscle. J. Neurochem.,Google Scholar