Modulatory Actions of Norepinephrine on Neural Circuits
Studies on the actions of the NE fiber system in the CNS have traditionally been conducted along two primary dimensions. At the systems level a major issue has been to resolve the consequences of NE release on circuit functions in noradren-ergically innervated areas. At the cellular level, the major question is how noradrenergic receptor activation leads to subsequent membrane actions and how such effects relate to events seen at the synaptic level. Our experience from past investigations is that there is a critical synergy between these two levels of analysis, and that progress at one level may generate insights critical for pursuing issues at the other.
KeywordsPurkinje Cell Locus Coeruleus Visual Stimulation Purkinje Neuron Excitatory Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burne, R.A., and Woodward, D.J., 1983, Visual cortical projections to the paraflocculus in the rat. an electrophysiologic study. Exp. Brain Res., 49:55–67.Google Scholar
- Madison, D.V., and Nicoll, R.A., 1986, Cyclic adenosine 3’,5’-monophosphate mediates -receptor actions of noradrenaline in rat hippocampal pyramidal cells. J. Physiol. (Lond.), 372:245–259.Google Scholar
- Moises, H.C., Burne, R.A., and Woodward, D.J., Modification of the visual response properties of cerebellar neurons by norepinephrine. Brain Res. (In review).Google Scholar
- Segal, M., and Bloom, F.E., 1974, The action of norepinephrine in the rat hippocampus. I., Iontophoretic studies. Brain Res., 107:513–525.Google Scholar
- Sweetnam, P.M., Tallman, J.F., Gallager, D.W., and Nestler, E.J., 1987, Phosphorylation of a subunit of the GABA/benzodiazepine receptor by a receptor-associated protein kinase. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr., 13:964.Google Scholar
- Waterhouse, B.D., Sessler, F.M., Cheng, J.-T., and Yeh, H.H., 1987, Noradrenergic potentiation of cerebellar Purkinje cell responses to GABA: evidence for mediation by an intracellular second messenger system. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr., 13:1347.Google Scholar
- Waterhouse, B.D., Azizi, S.A., Burne, R.A., and Woodward, D.J., Modulation of rat cortical area 17 neuronal responses to moving visual stimuli during norepinephrine and serotonin microiontophoresis.Google Scholar
- Yeh, H.H., and Woodward, D.J., 1983a, Beta-I adrenergic receptors mediate noradrenergic facilitation of Purkinje cell responses to gammaaminobutyric acid in cerebellum of rat. Neuropharmacology, 22:62 9–639.Google Scholar