Alcohol Dehydrogenase Gene Expression and Cloning of the Mouse χ-Like ADH
Some of the differences between individuals in the metabolism of alcohol and in their susceptibility to alcoholism or its complications may be due to differences in the metabolism of ethanol. The amount of each different isozyme expressed will influence the overall alcohol dehydrogenase activity in a given tissue, and could play an important role in mediating or modulating the effects of ethanol. For these reasons, we have been studying the structure and expression of the mammalian alcohol dehydrogenases.
KeywordsAlcohol Dehydrogenase Human Class Alcohol Dehydrogenase Activity ADH2 Promoter Alcohol Dehydrogenase Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fromental, C., M. Kanno, H. Nomiyama, and P. Chambon (1988).Google Scholar
- Cooperativity and heirarchical levels of functional organization in the SV40 enhancer. Cell 54:943-953.Google Scholar
- Heden, L.O., Hoog, J.O., Larsson, K., Lake, M., Lagerholm, E., Holmgren, A., Vallee, B.L., Jornvall, H., and von Bahr-Lindstrom, H., 1986, cDNA clones coding for the beta-subunit of human liver alcohol dehydrogenase have differently sized 3’-non-coding regions. FEBS. Lett. 194:327–332.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hoog, J.O., Heden, L.O., Larsson, K., Jornvall, H., and von Bahr-Lindstrom, H., 1986, The gamma 1 and gamma 2 subunits of human liver alcohol dehydrogenase. cDNA structures, two amino acid replacements, and compatibility with changes in the enzymatic properties. Eur. J. Biochem. 159:215–218.Google Scholar
- Julia, P., Pares, X., and Jornvall, H., 1988, Rat liver alcohol dehydrogenase of class III. Primary structure, functional consequences and relationships to other alcohol dehydrogenases. Eur. J. Biochem. 172:73–83.Google Scholar
- Sen, R., and D.Baltimore (1986). Multiple nuclear factors interact with the immunoglobin enhancer sequences. Cell 46, 705–716.Google Scholar
- Siebenlist, U., R. Simpson, and W. Gilbert (1980). E. coli RNA polymerase interacts homologously with two different promoters. Cell 20, 269–281.Google Scholar
- von Bahr-Lindstrom, H., Hoog, J.O., Heden, L.O., Kaiser, R., Fleetwood, L., Larsson, K., Lake, M., Holmquist, B., Holmgren, A., Hempel, J., Vallee, B.L., and Jornvall, H., 1986, cDNA and protein structure for the a subunit of human liver alcohol dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 25:2465–2470.CrossRefGoogle Scholar