Reactivity of Enzyme Modification Reagents with Aldose Reductase and Aldehyde Reductase
Aldose reductase (EC 126.96.36.199) and aldehyde reductase (EC 188.8.131.52) are members of a broad family of NADPH-dependent reductases (Feldstead and Bachur, 1980). While the physiological role of either enzyme remains unknown, it is generally assumed that aldose reductase reduces aldose sugars to their respective sugar alcohols while aldehyde reductase reduces a broad range of aromatic and aliphatic aldehydes. Aldehyde reductase is also known as hexonate dehydrogenase EC 184.108.40.206) because of its ability to oxidize L-gulonic acid to glucuronic acid..
KeywordsAldose Reductase Aldose Reductase Inhibitor Desalt Column Carbonyl Reductase Aldehyde Reductase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carper, D., Nishimura, C., Shinohara, T., Dietzehold, B., Wistow, G., Craft, C., Kador, P. and Kinoshita J.H., 1987, Aldose reductase and p-crystallin belong to the same protein superfamily as aldehyde reductase, FEBS Lett. 220:209. Felsted, R.L. and Bachur, N.R., 1980, Mammalian carbonyl reductases, Drug Metabolism Reviews ,11:1.Google Scholar
- Itabe, H., Sato, S. and Kador, P.F., 1989, Similarities and differences in the inhibition of rat lens aldose reductase and kidney aldehyde reductase by aldose reductase inhibitors. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 30:193.Google Scholar
- Kador, P.F., Akagi, Y., Takahashi, Y., Ikebe, H., Wyman, M. and Kinoshita, J.H., 1990, Prevention of retinal vessel changes associated with diabetic retinopathy in galactose -fed dogs by aldose reductase inhibitors. Arch. Ophthalmol. ,in press.Google Scholar
- Sato, S., Kador, P.F. and Kinoshita, J.H., 1988, Rat kidney aldehyde reductase: Purification and comparison with rat lens aldose reductase, in: Polyol Pathway and its Role in Diabetic Complications, N. Sakamoto, J.H. Kinoshita, P.F. Kador, and N. Hotta, eds, Excepta Medica, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam. pp.72-81.Google Scholar
- Sato, S., 1990, Polyol formation in rat kidney, inU.S.Japan Aldose Reductase Workshop, N. Hotta, ed., in press.Google Scholar
- Sato, S. and Kador, P.F., 1990a, Inhibition of aldehyde reductase by aldose reductase inhibitors, Biochem. Pharmacol ,in press.Google Scholar