Study on Dihydrodiol Dehydrogenase (II) Modulation of Dihydrodiol Dehydrogenase Activity by Biological Disulfides
Rat liver cytosolic 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (EC 18.104.22.168) (dihydrodiol dehydrogenase) which can catalyze the conversion between androsterone and androstanedione in the presence of NADP(H) has also been shown to catalyze the oxidation of benzenedihydrodiol to catechol (Penning et al, 1984, 1985; Hara et al., 1988). From the facts that can oxidize the trans-dihydrodiol of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzo(a)pyrene and benzo(a)anthracene, it has been suggested that dihydrodiol dehydrogenase plays an important role in the detoxification of the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon through the effective suppression in the formation of the ultimate carcinogenic anti-diol epoxides (Penning et al., 1984, 1985).
KeywordsPolycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Carbonyl Compound Liver Cytosol Aldehyde Reductase Remaining Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Turner,A.J. and Flynn,T.G.,1982, The nomenclature of aldehyde reductases, in : “Enzymology of Carbonyl Metabolism: Aldehyde dehydrogenase, aldoketo reductase, alcohol dehydrogenase,”, H.Weiner and B.Wermuth, eds., Alan R. Liss, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Keller,G.M. and Jefcoate,C.R.,1984, Kinetic determinants of benzo(a)pyrene metabolism to dihydrodiol epoxides by 3-raethylcholanthrene induced rat liver microsomes, Mol.Pharmacol., 22:451Google Scholar
- Mizoguchi.T.,Uchida,G.,Oshida,T.,Terada,T. and Hosomi,S.,1988, Changes in mice liver thioltransferase activity and powerful inhibitors, in : “Glutathione Centennial” 114Google Scholar
- Nishinaka.T.,Terada,T.,Umemura,T.,Nanjo,H.,Mizoguchi,T.and Nishihara,T., Study on dihydrodiol dehydrogenase (I) Molecular forms of the enzyme and the presence of a dihydrodiol specific enzyme in bovine liver cytosol, in: “Enzymology of Carbonyl Metabolism : Aldehyde dehydrogenase, aldo-keto reductase, alcohol dehydrogenase”,in pressGoogle Scholar
- Oshida,T.,Maeda,H.,Hara,T.,Terada,T.,Hosomi,S.,Mizoguchi,T. and Nishihara, T.,1989, Human thioltransferase : Its purification and physiological role, J.Pharmacobio-Dyn., 12:s-52Google Scholar
- Piatt,K.L. and Oesch,F.,1977, An improved synthesis of trans-5,6-dihydroxy- 1,3-cyclohexadiene, Synthesis, 7:449Google Scholar
- Sugiyama,T.,1988, Modification of enzyme activity by glutathione, Protein Nucleic Acid and Enzyme (in Japanese), 33:1423Google Scholar
- Taniguchi,N., 1986, Modification of enzyme protein by glutathione, Metabolism and Disease (in Japanese), 23:1057Google Scholar
- Watabe,T. and Hiratsuka.A.,1988, Glutathione cojugation reactions: Metabolic inactivation and activation of carcinogens and other toxicants by glutathione s-transferase, Protein Nucleic Acid and Enzyme (in Japanese), 33:1405Google Scholar