Characterization of Gel Structure by Means of SAXS and SANS
The characterization of the gel structure by means of small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) and small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) is described by taking the examples of monovalent and bivalent cation κ-carrageenates in aqueous solution, polyvinyl alcohol)-borate gels and the inorganic/organic hybrid gels from tetraethoxysilane and poly(oxytetra-methylene). The SAXS and SANS results were analysed and discussed in terms of the classic gelation thoery as well as the scaling concepts.
KeywordsFractal Dimension Correlation Length Scattered Intensity Vinyl Alcohol Monovalent Cation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See, for example, P. J. Flory, Principles of Polymer Chemistry Cornell U.P., Ithaca, New York, (1953)Google Scholar
- 2.See, for example, P. G. De Gennes, Scaling Concepts in Polymer Physics Cornell U.P., Ithaca, New York, (1979)Google Scholar
- 3.M. Muthukumar, private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 4.J. E. Martin, B. J. Ackerson, Phys. Rev. A31 1180 (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.D. Stauffer, A. Coniglio, M. Adam, Adv. Polym. Sci. 44, 105 (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.T. Ueki, Y. Hiragi, Y Izumi, H. Tagawa, M. Kataoka, M.Muroga, T. Matsushita, Y Amemiya, Photon Factory Report 1983 IV 70Google Scholar
- 9.See, for example, O. Glatter, in Small-Angle X-ray Scattering(ed. O. Kratky, O. Glatter), Academic Press, New York, 1982Google Scholar
- 13.See, for example, A. Guinier, G. Fumet, Small-Angle Scattering of X-ray John Wily, New York, (1955)Google Scholar
- 14.M. Shibayama, H. Kurokawa, S. Nomura, S. Roy, R. S. Stein, Polym Prepr. Jpn. 37, 3052 (1988)Google Scholar
- 16.M. Shibayama, H. Kurokawa, S. Nomura, S. Roy, R. S. Stein, W. Wu, Macro-molecules in pressGoogle Scholar
- 17.J. E. Martin, J. P. Wilcoxon, Phys. Rev. A39 252 (1989)Google Scholar