Toward a Three-Dimensional User Interface
The term user interface refers to the combined environment of data presentation using output devices and different interaction methodologies using input devices. The crucial role that the quality of the user interface plays in the utilization of the system can be appreciated by examining aspects such as responsiveness, capabilities, graphics (colors, two dimensional or three dimensional), ease of use, ease of learning, naturalness, and accuracy.
KeywordsInput Device Orthographic Projection Virtual Device Term User Interface Orthographic View
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Kaufman and E. Shimony, Three-dimensional scan-conversion algorithms for voxel-based graphics, Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Interactive Three Dimensional Graphics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 1986, pp. 45–75.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Kaufman, The voxblt engine: A voxel frame buffer processor, in Advances in Graphics Hardware HI, A.A.M. kuijk and W. Strasser, Eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Cohen, A. Kaufman, R. Bakalash, and S. Bergman, Real-time discrete shading, Vis. Comput.6(1), 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.G.M. Nielson and D.R. Jr. Olsen, Direct manipulation techniques for three-dimensional objects using two-dimensional locator devices, Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Interactive Three-Dimensional Graphics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 1986, pp. 175–182.Google Scholar
- 12.C.B. Phillips and N.I. Badler, Jack: A toolkit for manipulating articulated figures, ACM Symposium on User Interface Software, Banff, Alberta, Canada, October 1988, pp. 221–229.Google Scholar
- 15.N.I. Badler, K.H. Manoochehri, and D. Baraff, Multidimensional input techniques and articulated figure positioning by multiple constraints, Proceedings of the 1986 Workshop on Three-Dimensional Graphics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 1986, pp. 151–169.Google Scholar
- 18.S.S. Fisher, M. Mc Greevy, J. Humphries, and W. Robinett, Virtual environment display system, Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Interactive Thee-Dimensional, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 1986, pp. 77–87.Google Scholar
- 19.J.D. Foley, Interfaces for advanced computing, Sci. Am. October 1987, pp. 126–135.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Zimmerman, J. Lanier, C. Blanchard, S. Bryson, and Y. Harvill, A hand gesture interface device, Proceedings Human Factors in Computing Systems and Graphic Interface, 1987, pp. 189–191.Google Scholar
- 21.A.R. Forrest, User interfaces for three-dimensional geometric modeling, Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Interactive Three-Dimensional Graphics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 1986, pp. 237–250.Google Scholar