The Mental Status Examination
The mental status examination is a study of the patient’s behavior and experience, primarily within the environment of the examination itself. Therefore, it deals mainly with the present, not the past. Because it consists of time-limited observations, it is ordinarily viewed as a cross-sectional rather than a longitudinal view of the patient’s behavior and experience.
KeywordsEmotional State History Taking Suicidal Intent Hallucinatory Experience Organic Brain Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
For Further Reading
- Detre, T. P., and Jarecki, H. G. Modern psychiatric treatment. Lippincott, Philadelphia, 1971.Google Scholar
- Leon, R. L., Bowden, C. L., and Fayber, R. A. The psychiatric interview, history and mental status examination. In Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry, Vol. 5, H. I. Kaplan and B. J. Sadock (Eds.). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1989.Google Scholar
- Lezak, M. D. Neuropsychological assessment (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- MacKinnon, R. A., and Yudofsky, S. The psychiatric evaluation in clinical practice. Lippincott, Baltimore, 1986.Google Scholar
- Menninger, K. A., Mayman, M., and Pruyser, P. W. A manual for psychiatric case study (2nd ed.). Grune & Stratton, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- Pruyser, P. W. The psychological examination: A guide for clinicians. International Universities Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- Scheiber, S. C. “Psychiatric interviews, psychiatric history and the mental status examination.” In Textbook of psychiatry, J. A. Talbott, R. E. Hales, and S. C. Yudofsky (Eds.). American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C., 1988.Google Scholar
- Sims, A. Symptoms in the mind: An introduction to descriptive psychopathology. Baillier-Tindall, London, 1988.Google Scholar
- Stubb, R. L., and Black, F. W. The mental status examination in neurology. F. A. Davis, Philadelphia, 1977.Google Scholar
- Taylor, M. A. The neuropsychiatric mental status examination. S. P. Medical and Scientific Books, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- Taylor, M. A., Sierles, E, and Abrams, R. The neuropsychiatric evaluation. In American Psychiatric Association Annual Review, Vol. 4, pp. 109–141, R. F. Hales and A. J. Francis (Eds.). American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C., 1985.Google Scholar