Taking the History: Part I
Part of the Critical Issues in Psychiatry book series (CIPS)
This chapter focuses on the kind of material that should be obtained in a psychiatric history with commentary on the best ways of obtaining it.
KeywordsChief Complaint Suicidal Thought Psychiatric Interview Present Illness Formal Thought Disorder
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
For Further Reading
- Balint, M. The doctor, his patient and the illness (2nd ed.). International Universities Press, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- Hales, R. E., and Yudofsky, S. L. Textbook of neuropsychiatry. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C., 1987.Google Scholar
- Hall, R. C. W. (Ed.) Psychiatric presentations of medical illnesses: Somatopsychic disorders. S. P. Medical and Scientific Books, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- Leon, R. L. Psychiatric interviewing: A primer (2nd ed.). Elsevier, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- Leon, R. L., Bowen, C. L., and Faber, R. N. The psychiatric interview, history and mental status examination. In Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry, Vol. 5. H. I. Kaplan and B. J. Sadock (Eds.). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1989.Google Scholar
- Masserman, J. H., and Schwab, J. J. The psychiatric examination. International Medical Books, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- Menninger, K. The human mind. Knopf, New York, 1945.Google Scholar
- Pasnau, R. O., and Fawzy, F. I. Stress and psychiatry. In Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry, Vol. 5. H. I. Kaplan and B. J. Sadock (Eds.). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1989.Google Scholar
- Pruyser, P. W. The psychological examination: A guide for clinicians. International Universities Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- Rane, R. A., and Arthur, R. J. Life change and illness studies: Past history and future directions. Journal of Human Stress, 4:3, 1978.Google Scholar
- Reiser, D. E., and Schroder, A. Patient interviewing: The human dimension. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1980.Google Scholar
- Resnick, H. Suicidal behavior. Little, Brown, Boston, 1968.Google Scholar
- Scheiber, S. C. The psychiatric interview, psychiatric history and mental status examination. In Textbook of psychiatry. J. A. Talbott, R. E. Hales, and S. C. Yudofsky (Eds.). American Psychiatric Press, New York, 1988.Google Scholar
- Stevenson, I. Medical history taking. Hoeber, New York, 1960.Google Scholar
- Taylor, M. A. The neuropsychiatric mental status examination. Spectrum Publication Books, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
© Plenum Publishing Corporation 1991