Testicular Metabolism and Toxicity of Halogenated Propanes
A number of cases of infertility were discovered in 1977 among men working in a factory formulating the nematocide 1,2-dibromo-3-chloropropane (DBCP) (Whorton et al., 1977). These workers were found to have azoospermia or oligospermia. In the severely affected men, testicular biopsies revealed that the seminiferous tubules were devoid of spermatogenic cells (Biava et al., 1978). A similar testicular lesion had already been reported in rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and monkeys after repeated inhalation exposure to DBCP (Torkelson et al., 1961). Later, the rat has been demonstrated to be a sensitive species towards the acute testicular necrogenic effects of DBCP (Kluwe, 1981). In addition to testicular necrosis and atrophy, also testicular DNA damage in the rat is known to be induced by DBCP (Bradley and Dysart 1985; Soderlund et al., 1988).
KeywordsSeminiferous Tubule Spermatogenic Cell Testicular Cell Testicular Biopsy Glutathione Conjugate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dybing, E., Soderlund, E.J., Lag, M., Brunborg, G., Holme, J.A., Pearson, P.G. and Nelson, S.D. (1989a). Mechanism of 1,2-dibromo-3-chloropropane (DBCP) nephrotoxicity. Abstract, Int. Symp. Mechanisms of Tissue Specific Toxicity, Waarzburg.Google Scholar
- Dybing, E., Soderlund, E.J., Lag, M., Brunborg, G., Omichinski, J.G., Dahl, J.E., Pearson, P.G., Holme, J.A. and Nelson, S.D. (1989b). Cytotoxicity via interactions with DNA. In Proceedings of the 5th International Congress of Toxicology,in press.Google Scholar
- Kohn, K.W., Erickson, L.C., Ewig, R.A.G. and Qwelling (1981). Measurement of strand breaks and crosslinks by alkaline elution. In: DNA Repair: A Laboratory Manual of Recent Procedures (E.C. Friedberg and P.C. Hanawalt, eds.), pp. 379–401, Marcel Dekker, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Parodi, S., Pala, M., Russo, P., Balbi, C., Abelmoschi, M.L., Taningher, M., Zunino, O., Ottagio, L., De Ferrari, M., Carbone, A. and Santi, L. (1983). Alkaline DNA fragmentation, DNA distanglement evaluated viscosimetrically and sister chromatid exchanges, after treatment in vivo with nitrofurantoin. Chem. Biol. interact. 45, 77–94.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pearson, P.G., Soderlund, E.J., Dybing, E. and Nelson, S.D. Metabolic activation of 1,2-dibromo-3-chloropropane: evidence for the formation of reactive episulfonium intermediates. Biochemistry,submitted.Google Scholar