The Rapid Center: A Model for Software Reuse Policy
This paper discusses the RAPID1 Center, a support center for software reuse. Developed by the U.S. Army and SofTech, the RAPID Center provides expert assistance and sophisticated tools to ISEC engineers. The project is funded by the STARS2 program.
After defining the goals of the RAPID Center and the approaches used to attain them, the author presents a functional model of the RAPID Center, describing activities, inputs, outputs and controls. These abstract functional requirements suggest an organizational model with specific categories of staff, whose duties are described in detail.
The RAPID Center defines a software reuse policy for the supported organization, and continually revises the policy to ensure that it helps foster an environment favorable to successful software reuse. The policy should address development, maintenance, and employment of reusable software; library operations; reuse advocacy; and the transition of the RAPID Center to a larger scope of operation.
KeywordsSoftware Engineering Software Engineer Software Reuse Reusable Component Administrative Assistant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- An Introduction to SADT Structured Analysis and Design Technique,SofTech Technical Report 9022–78R, 1976, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960, November 1976.Google Scholar
- Dickover, M., McGowan, C., and D. Ross, 1977, Software Design Using SADT, Proceedings of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) National Conference, Seattle, WA, October 1977. Also available as SofTech Technical Report TP-061, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960.Google Scholar
- Fornaro, M., 1987, RAPID Centers: Software Libraries of the Future, Interface (US Army Information Systems Engineering Command), Vol. X, No. 3, Ft. Belvoir, VA 22060–5456, October 1987.Google Scholar
- Guerrieri, E., 1988, Searching for Reusable Components with the RAPID Center Library System, Proceedings of Sixth National Conference on Ada Technology, Alexandria, VA, March 1988, pp. 395–406. Also available as SofTech Technical Report TP-259, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960.Google Scholar
- ISEC RAPID Investigation Final Report,1986, SofTech, Inc., Contract No. 3285–4-247/13, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960, November 1986.Google Scholar
- RAPID Center Library Procedures (Draft),1988, SofTech, Inc., Contract No., 3451–4-112/11, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960, June 1988.Google Scholar
- Reusability Standards for the SIDPERS-3 Rapid Center (Final Draft),1988, SofTech, Inc. Contract No. 34514–012/6.1, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960, February 1988.Google Scholar
- Ruegsegger, T., 1987, RAPID: Reusable Ada Packages for Information System Development, Proceedings of ISEC Technology Strategies ‘87, Alexandria, VA, February 1987. Also available as Softech Technical Report TP-239, SofTech, Inc., Waltham, MA 02154–1960.Google Scholar