Basement Membrane Components in Alzheimer’s Disease
Characteristic features in dementia of Alzheimer type (DAT) include senile plaques, neurofibrillary changes and alterations of basement membrane components, although the changes may be either primary or secondary to neuronal degeneration or other pathologies. Laminin (LA) and type IV collagen (CO) are basement membrane components (Timple et al., 1979). A high laminin immunoreactivity has been reported in newly formed vessels in developing tissues, neural grafts (Shigematsu et al., 1989 a), in neoplasms and in excitotoxin induced lesions (Shigematsu et al., 1989 b). Therefore, immunohistochemistry using antibodies against LA or CO should be useful not only for demonstrating vascular structures in normal brains (Eriksdotter-Nilsson et al., 1986) but also for studying basement membrane alterations associated with various pathological changes. We have examined the immunoreactivity of the basement membrane components, LA and CO, in DAT brains.
KeywordsAmyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Senile Plaque Senile Dementia Basement Membrane Component Central Nervous Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Athaiker,J., Perlmutter,L.S., Seperia,D., and Chui,H.C., 1988, Alteration of basement membrane components in dementia, Soc. Neurosci. Abst., 14: 638.Google Scholar
- Higuchi,Y., Miyakawa,T., Shimoji,A., and Katsuragi,S., 1987, Ultra-structural changes of blood vessels in the cerebral cortex in Alzheimer’s disease, Jap. J. Psychi. Neurol., 41: 283.Google Scholar
- Scheibel,A.B., Teihung,D., and Tomiyasu,U., 1987, Denervation micro-angiopathy in senile dementia, Alzheimer type, Alzheimer disease and associated disorders, 1: 19.Google Scholar
- Shigematsu,K., Kamo,H., Akiguchi,I., Kameyama,M., and Kimura,H., 1989 b Neovascularization in kainic acid-induced lesions of rat striatum, Brain Res., in press.Google Scholar
- Timple,R., Rohde,H., Robey,P.G., Rennard,S.I., Foidart, J.M., and Martin, G.R., 1979, Laminin - A glycoprotein from basement membranes, J. Biol. Chem., 254: 9933.Google Scholar