Study of Central Putative Neurotransmitters in Rodent Models of Parkinsonism
Considerable insight has been gained into central neurotransmitter mechanisms operating in the extrapyramidal system. Involvement of dopaminergic and cholinergie mechanisms in parkinsonism is now well established. Besides dopaminergic and cholinergic systems, existence of other neurotransmitters has also been reported in the nigrostrial area. Okada (1976) found a high concentration of GABA in substantia nigra (SN) and pallidum. Dray and Straughan (1976) reported the highest concentration of GABA at junction of zona compacta and zona reticulata of SN. The nerve terminals of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) are present in zona reticulate and in the striatum (Dray and Straughan, 1976). Schwartz et al.(1980) reported the presence of histamine (HA) and its synthesizing enzyme l-histidine decarboxylase in the striatum. However, role of these central putative neurotransmitters — GABA, 5-HT and HA in Parkinson is not clear. Therefore, in the present study the effects of administration of GABA, 5-HT and HA by intracerebroventricular route, have been investigated on experimental models of Parkinsonism in rats.
KeywordsSubstantia Nigra Zona Compacta Central Drug Research Institute Extrapyramidal System Normal Saline Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coward, D.M., Dogget, N.S., and Sayers, A.C., 1977, The pharmacology of N-carbonyl-2-(2,6-dichlorophenyl) acetamidine hydrochloride(LoN954) a new tremorogenic agent, Arzneim-Forsch/Druq Res., 27: 2326.Google Scholar
- Marsden, C.D., Duvoisin, R.C., Jenner, P.,Parkes, J.D., Pycock, C. and Tarsy, D., 1975, Relationship between animal models and clinical parkinsonism, in: “Adv. in Neurology”; D.B. Caine, T.N. Chase and A Barbeau, eds, Raven Press, New York, 9: 165.Google Scholar
- Morpurgo, C., 1962, Effects of antiparkinsonian drugs on phenothiazine induced catatonic reaction, Arch. in Pharmecodyn., 137: 84.Google Scholar
- Oelszner, W., Funk, K.F., Staib, A.H. and Westermann, K.H., 1975, Serotonin content in the central nervous system of rats and cholinergic tremors, Pol. J. Pharmacol., 27 (Suppl.): 167.Google Scholar
- Okada, Y., 1976, Role of GABA in the substantia nigra, in:“GABA in Nervous System Function; E. Roberts, T.N. Chase and D.B.Tower, eds, Raven Press New York, 235.Google Scholar
- Orzeck, A and Barbeau, A., 1970, Interrelationship among dopamine, serotonin and acetylcholine in L-dopa and Parkinsonism, A.Barbeau and F.A. McDowell, eds, Davis Company, Philadelphia, 88.Google Scholar