Light Adaptation in Retinal Rods of the Newt
It is known that guanosine 3’5’-cyclic monophosphate (cyclic GMP) is the internal transmitter of phototransduction (Caretta and Cavaggioni, 1983; Fesenko et al., 1985; Yau and Nakatani, 1985b; Haynes et al., 1986; Zimmermann and Baylor, 1986) and that Ca2+ is not a positive transmitter (Matthews et al., 1985; Lamb et al., 1986) as originally proposed (Hagins, 1972). Moreover, it is known that the light-sensitive channels present in the plasma membrane outer segments of rod are activated by cyclic GMP in a cooperative way (Fesenko et al., 1985; Haynes et al., 1986; Zimmermann and Baylor, 1986).
KeywordsOuter Segment Light Adaptation Slow Stage Tiger Salamander Internal Transmitter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Applebury, M. L. and Chabre, M., 1986, Interaction of photoactivated rhodopsin with photoreceptors proteins: the cyclic GMP cascade, In: “The Molecular Mechanism of Photoreception”, ed. Stieve H., pp. 51–66, Dahlem Konferenzen, Berlin, Springer.Google Scholar
- Baylor, D. A., Lamb, T. D. and Yau, K. W., 1979a, The membrane current of single rod outer segments, J. Physiol., 354:203–223.Google Scholar
- Blaunstein, M. P. and Hodgkin, A. L., 1969, The effect of cyanide on the efflux of calcium from squid axons, J. Physiol., 200:497–527.Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, A. L. and Nunn, B. J., 1988, Control of light-sensitive current in salamander rods, J. Physiol., 403:473–494.Google Scholar
- Lagnado, L., Cervetto, L. and McNaughton, P. A., 1988, Ion transport by the Na-Ca exchange in isolated rod outer segments, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., in press.Google Scholar
- Lamb, T. D., McNaughton, P. A. and Yau, K. W., 1981, Spatial spread of activation and background desensitization in toad rod outer segments, J. Physiol., 272:463–496.Google Scholar
- Lamb, T. D., 1986, “Photoreceptor adaptation — vertebrates in the molecular mechanism of photoreception,” Ed. H. Stieve, 267–286, Dahlem Konferenzen 1986, Berlin Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Ratto, G. M., Payne, R., Owen, W. G. and Tsien, R. Y., 1988, The concentration of cytosolic free Ca2+ in vertebrate rod outer segments measured with Fura 2, J. Neurosci., in the press.Google Scholar
- Rispoli, G., Sather, W. A. and Detwiler, P. B., 1988, Effect of triphosphate nucleotides on the response of detached rod outer segments to low external calcium, Biophys. J., 53:388a.Google Scholar
- Sather, W. A., Rispoli, G. and Detwiler, P. B., 1988, Effect of calcium on light adaptation in detached gecko rod outer segments, Biophys. J., 53:390a.Google Scholar
- Torre, V., Rispoli, G., Menini, A. and Cervetto, L., 1987, Ionic selectivity, blockage and control of light-sensitive channels, Neurosci. Res., suppl.6: S25:S44.Google Scholar