Platelets in Chronic Smokers Show a Hyperactive Response in Vitro to a Foreign Surface
A number of investigators have evaluated platelet function in smokers. The results have been diverse. Part of the lack of clarity may relate to the diversity of the characteristics of platelet function that were evaluated, as well as the length of time following smoking during which the test was performed. In this chapter, we will review the literature in this regard, with particular emphasis upon the more prolonged effects of smoking. In particular, we will review an investigation of the effects upon platelets of chronic smoking that we previously performed (1).
KeywordsCigarette Smoking Platelet Function Platelet Factor Platelet Aggregate Habitual Smoker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Riddle, J.M. A method for evaluating the platelet surface response by using electron microscopy. Henry Ford Hosp. Med. J. 27, 268–274 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.Riddle, J.M. and Schatz, I.J. Platelet surface activation and inhibition during myocardial infarction. In: Platelet Adhesion and Aggregation in Thrombosis: Countermeasures. E.F. Mammen, G.F. Anderson and M.I. Barnhart (Eds.) New York, F.K. Schattauer Verlag (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.Hillbom, M., Muuronen, A., Lowbeer, C., Anggard, E., Beving, H., Kangasaho, M. Platelet thromboxane formation and bleeding time is influenced by ethanol withdrawal but not by cigarette smoking. Thrombosis and Haemostasia 52, 419–422 (1985).Google Scholar
- 13.Schmidt, K.G., Rasmussen, J.W. Acute platelet activation induced by smoking in vivo and ex vivo studies in humans. Thromb Haemostas (Stuttgart) 51, 279–282 (1984).Google Scholar
- 14.Davis, J.W., Hartman, C.R., Lewis, H.D., Jr., Shelton, L., Eigenberg, D.A., Hassanein, K.M., Hignite, C.E., Ruttinger, H.A. Cigarette smoking-induced enhancement of platelet function: Lack of prevention by aspirin in men with coronary artery disease. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 105, 479–483 (1985).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Grignani, G., Gamba, G. and Ascari, E. Cigarette-smoking effect on platelet function. Thrombos. Haem. 37, 423–428 (1977).Google Scholar
- 19.Van der Giessen, W.J., Serruys, P.W., Stoel, I. Hugenholtz, P.G., De Leeuw, P.W., Van Vliet, H.H.D.M. Acute effect of cigarette smoking on cardiac prostaglandin synthesis and platelet behavior in patients with coronary heart disease. In: Advances in Prostaglandin. Thromboxane and Leukotriene Research. B. Samuelsson, R. Paoletti, and P.W. Ramwell (Eds.) New York, Raven Press, pp. 359–364 (1983).Google Scholar
- 20.Glynn, M.F., Mustard, J.F., Buchanan, M.R. and Murphy, E.A. Cigarette smoking and platelet aggregation. Can. Med. Assn. J. 95, 549–553 (1966).Google Scholar
- 22.Djaldetti, M., Agam, G. and Creter, D. Effect of cigarette smoking on platelet function. Haemotologica 62, 575–580 (1977).Google Scholar
- 25.Chao, F.C, Tullis, J.L., Alper, C.A., Glynn, R.J. and Silbert, J.E. Alteration in plasma proteins and platelet functions with aging and cigarette smoking in healthy men. Thrombosis. Haem. 47, 259–264 (1982).Google Scholar
- 26.Erikssen, J., Hellem, A. and Stormorken, H. Chronic effect of smoking on platelet count and “platelet adhesiveness” in presumably healthy middle-aged men (Thrombos. Haem. 38, 606–611 (1977).Google Scholar