Neutron Capture Therapy Beam Design at Harwell
At Harwell, we have progressed from designing, building, and using small-diameter beams of epithermal neutrons for radiobiology studies to designing a radiotherapy facility for the 25-MW research reactor DIDO. The program is well into the survey phase, where the main emphasis is on tailoring the neutron spectrum. The incorporation of titanium and vanadium in an aluminium spectrum shaper in the D2O reflector has been shown to yield a significant reduction in the mean energy of neutrons incident on the patient by suppression of streaming through the cross-section window in aluminium at 25 keV.
KeywordsFuel Element Neutron Energy Neutron Spectrum Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Epithermal Neutron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Constantine, L. J. Baker, P. G. F. Moore, and N. P. Taylor, “The Depth Enhanced Neutron Intense Source (DENIS),” in Proc. Second Int. Symp. on Neutron Capture Therapy Tokyo, 1985, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura Co., Ltd., Niigata, Japan, p. 208 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Constantine, J. A. B. Gibson, K. G. Harrison, and P. Schofield, “Harwell Research on Beams for Neutron Capture Therapy,” Strahlenther. Onkol. 165(2/3):92 (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Constantine, L. J. Baker, and N. P. Taylor, “Improved Methods for the Generation of 24.5 keV Neutron Beams with Possible Application to Boron Neutron Capture Therapy,” Nucl. Inst. Meth. A250:565 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.G. R. Morgan, A. J. Mill, C. J. Roberts, S. Newman, and P. D. Holt, “The Radiobiology of 24 keV Neutrons,” Brit. J. Radiol. 61:1127 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.J. F. Briesmeister, ed., “MCNP — A General Monte Carlo Code for Neutron and Photon Transport, Version 3A,” Los Alamos National Laboratory, LA-7396-M Rev. 2 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.V. McLean, C. L. Dunford, and P. F. Rose, “Neutron Cross-Section Curves for Z=1–100,” in Neutron Cross Sections Vol. 2, Academic Press, Boston (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.G. Constantine, G. R. Morgan, and N. P. Taylor, “Progress toward Boron Neutron Capture Therapy at Harwell,” in Proc. Int. Symp. Utilisation of Research Reactors Grenoble, IAEA-SM-300/74 (1987).Google Scholar