A Versatile, New Accelerator Design for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy: Accelerator Design and Neutron Energy Considerations
The development of a new, compact high-current proton accelerator by Science Research Laboratory (SRL) capable of producing large quantities of neutrons fits closely with the recent interest in the use of epithermal neutrons for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT). Three important facets of this development are currently being investigated. These include 1) the production of neutrons by the 7Li(p,n) reaction using a novel tandem cascade electrostatic accelerator, 2) the optimal neutron energy (or range of energies) for treatment of tumors at different depths in tissue, and 3) the extent of moderation and filtering required to reduce the energy of the accelerator neutrons to the energies deemed optimal in (2) above. The overall goal is to develop a versatile epithermalneutron source which will be, initially, a valuable research tool in the development of BNCT, and ultimately, an essential component of a hospital-based patient irradiation facility.
KeywordsNeutron Energy Neutron Beam Neutron Yield Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Epithermal Neutron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. H. Gibbons and H. W. Newson, “The Li7(p,n)Be7 Reaction,” in Fast Neutron Physics, Vol. 1, J. B. Marron and J. L. Fowler, eds., Int. Science, New York, p. 133 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.G. L. Brownell, J. E. Kirsch, and J. Kehayias, “Accelerator Production of Epithermal Neutrons for Neutron Capture Therapy,” in Proc. Second Int. Symp. on Neutron Capture Therapy, Tokyo, 1985, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura Co., Ltd., Niigata, Japan, p. 127 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.C. K. Wang, T. E. Blue, and R. Gahbauer, “A Neutronic Study of an Accelerator-Based Neutron Irradiation Facility for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy,” Nucl. Technol., 84:93 (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.R. K. York, R. R. Stevens, Jr., R. A. DeHaven, J. R. McConnell, E. P. Chamberlin, and R. Kandarian, “The Development of a High Current H-Injector for the Proton Storage Ring at LAMPF,” Nucl. Instruments and Methods in Phys. Res., B10/11:891 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.G. L. Brownell and W. H. Sweet, “Studies on Neutron Capture Therapy,” in Progress in Nuclear Energy Series VII. Vol. 2 - Medical Sciences, Pergamon Press, London, p. 114 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.J. F. Briesmeister, ed., “MCNP — A General Monte Carlo Code for Neutron and Photon Transport, Version 3A,” Los Alamos National Laboratory, LA-7396-M, Rev. 2 (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.D. I. Garber and R. R. Kinsey, Neutron Cross-Sections. Vol. II. Curves, Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York (1976).Google Scholar