Investigation of Neutron Beams for the Realization of Boron Neutron Capture Therapy
Results of the initial theoretical and experimental work performed at the Institute of Nuclear Technics of the Budapest Technical University (BTU NTI) regarding the design of a pure thermal neutron field for neutron capture therapy experiments are reported. Calculations show that a thermal neutron flux of approximately 109 neutrons cm−2s−1 will be generated using a filter made of graphite and bismuth.
KeywordsNeutron Flux Thermal Neutron Neutron Beam Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Thermal Neutron Flux
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gy. Csom, F. Lévai, and G. Keömley, “Educational and Research Activities of the Nuclear Training Reactor of the BTU,” IAEA Seminar on Appl. Res. and Service Activity for Research Reactor Operations, Copenhagen, Denmark, 9–13 Sept. 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.E. M. Zsolnay, “Experimental Investigation of Radiation Shielding Arrangements,” Budapest, Hungary, BME-TR-121/81 (1981) (in Hungarian).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Kanda and T. Kobayashi, “Progress in Physics for Thermal Neutron Capture Therapy,” in Proc. Second Int. Symp. on Neutron Capture Therapy, Tokyo, 1985, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura Co., Ltd., Niigata, Japan, p. 70 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Oka, K. Kanasugi, and N. Aoyagi, “Nuclear Design for a Pure and High Thermal Neutron Field at JRR-4,” in Proc. Second Int. Symp. on Neutron Capture Therapy, Tokyo, 1985, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura Co., Ltd., Niigata, Japan, p. 97 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.Gy. Csom, É. M. Zsolnay, S. Fehér, and E. Virdgh, “Preliminary Experiments for Application of Boron Neutron Capture Therapy at the NTI of the Budapest Technical University,” Budapest, Hungary, BME-TR-RES-16/88 (1988) (in Hungarian).Google Scholar
- 7.Gy. Csom, E. M. Zsolnay, S. Fehér, and E. Viragh, “Preliminary BNCT Experiments at the Nuclear Reactor of the NTI of BTU,” Budapest, Hungary, BME-NTI-168/87 (1987) (in Hungarian).Google Scholar
- 8.Gy. Csom, É. M. Zsolnay, E. J. Szondi et al., “Results of Radiation Shielding Experiments Corresponding to the International (CMEA) Test Sample No. 2,” Budapest, Hungary, BME-TR-61/77 (1977) (available in Russian and Hungarian).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Ponti, H. Preusch, and H. Schubert, “SABINE — A One Dimensional Bulk Shielding Program,” EURATOM, ISPRA, EUR 3636e (1967) and C. Ponti and R. Hensen, “SABINE-3 — An Improved Version of the Shielding Code SABINE,” ESIS, ISPRA (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.W. W. Engle, Jr., “A User’s Manual for ANISN; One Dimensional Discrete Ordinates Transport Code with Anisotropic Scattering,” Oak Ridge National Laboratory, K-1693 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Devilleres, “Programme MERCURE-3,” Fontenay-aux-Roses, CEA-R3262 (1967).Google Scholar