Convection in Binary Liquids with Soret Effect: What We Can Learn from Laser Doppler Velocimetry Experiments
It has been recognized since a long time that Rayleigh-Bénard convection in binary mixtures possesses a rich variety of dynamical behaviors due to the coupling between the temperature and the concentration fields (since a more recent review does not exist, see e.g. Platten & Legros 1984). For example, the oscillatory onset of convection was not only theoretically predicted almost 20 years ago (Platten 1971 — Shteinberg 1971 — Hurle & Jakeman 1971 — Legros et al. 1972) but also experimentally observed by inserting temperature probes (thermocouple, thermistance, ...) inside the liquid layer (Platten & Chavepeyer 1973). In this last paper, far away from the critical point, very regular and sustained temperature oscillations were recorded in a circular container of large aspect ratio (diameter/height ≃ 13 cm/0.32 cm) were a regular roll pattern is even not expected. Also, an hysteretic effect in Schmidt—Milverton plots was discovered (Platten & Chavepeyer 1973). However the exact nature of the “oscillator” was not resolved.
KeywordsRayleigh Number Large Aspect Ratio Critical Rayleigh Number Traveling Wave Double Diffusive Convection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bensimon D., Pumir A. & Shraiman B.I. 1989, J. de Phys. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Berge P. & Dubois M. 1978, in “Lecture Notes in Physics” (Springer-Verlag), 72, 133.Google Scholar
- Bigazzi A., Ciliberto S. & Croquette V. 1990, prepint, (to appear).Google Scholar
- Lhost O. & Platten J.K. 1989b, Phys. Rev. A, 40 (to appear).Google Scholar
- Lhost O., Lücke M., Linz S.J., Müller H.W. & Niederländer J. 1989, (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Lhost O. 1990, Ph.D. thesis, University of Mons, (to appear).Google Scholar
- Lücke M. 1988, in “Nonequilibrium Phase Transitions”, Lecture Notes in Physics, (ed. Garrrido), Springer 1988/1989).Google Scholar
- Lücke M. 1989, private communication.Google Scholar
- Platten J.K., Villers D. & Lhost O. 1988, in “Laser Doppler Anemometry in fluid mechanics” Vol III, 245 (eds: R.J. Adrian et al. — Ladoan — Instituto Superior Technico — Lisbon).Google Scholar
- Ouazzani M.T., Platten J.K. & Mojtabi A. 1990, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, (to appear).Google Scholar
- Shteinberg V.A. 1971, PMM 35, 335.Google Scholar