Program analysis and verification
Chapter 5 drew attention to the dangers in using “standard” programming languages and explained how, for a few of them at least, programming could be made more reliable by confining it to a sublanguage, and employing annotations (formal comments) to provide information not directly expressible in the standard language. The necessary connection between the annotations and the executable code was made by additional language rules, and conformance to those rules was checked at the same time as syntax and static semantics, by a tool similar to the “front end” of a compiler.
KeywordsFinish Node Switch Statement Proof Obligation Symbolic Execution Verification Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bergeretti/Carré 1985]
- [Blikle/Mazurkiewicz 1972]Blikle, A. and Mazurkiewicz, A., “An algebraic approach to the theory of programs, algorithms, languages and recursiveness”, in Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Warsaw (1972).Google Scholar
- [Carré 1979]Carré, B. A., Graphs and Networks, Oxford University Press (1979).Google Scholar
- [Clutterbuck/Carré 1988]
- [CEC 1987]Commission of the European Communities, The Draft Formal Definition of Ada, Dansk Datamatik Center (1987).Google Scholar
- [Farrow 1975]Farrow, R., Kennedy, K. and Zucconi, L., “Graph grammars and global program flow analysis”, Proc. 17th Annual IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science (1975).Google Scholar
- [Hecht 1977]Hecht, M. S., Flow Analysis of Computer Programs, North-Holland (1977).Google Scholar
- [Kennedy 1981]Kennedy, K., “A survey of data flow analysis techniques”, in Program Flow Analysis (Eds. Muchnick S. S. and Jones N. D.), Prentice Hall (1981).Google Scholar
- [King 1976]
- [Manna 1974]Manna, Z., Mathematical Theory of Computation, McGraw Hill (1974).Google Scholar
- [Manna 1980]Manna, Z., Lectures on the Logic of Computer Programming, CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Maths. vol. 31, Society for Industrial and Applied Maths (1980).Google Scholar
- [O’Neill 1988]O’Neill, I. M., Clutterbuck, D. L., Farrow, P. F., Summers, P. G. and Dolman W. C., “The formal verification of safety-critical assembly code”, in Safety of Computer Control Systems 1988 (Ed. Ehrenberger, W. D.), IFAC Proceedings Series no. 16, pp. 115-120.Google Scholar