Model-Based Flaw Reconstruction and Flaw Parameter Estimation Using a Limited Set of Radiographic Projections
This paper presents an approach to the reconstruction and parameter estimation of flaw models in NDE radiography. The reconstruction of flaw models rather than the flaw distribution itself reduces the required number of projections as well as the complexity of the measurement system [1,2]. In this approach, crack-like flaws are modeled as piecewise linear curves, and volumetric flaws are modeled as ellipsoids. Our emphasis here is on a method for estimating the model parameters for crack-like flaws using a linear model with more than the minimal number of required projections. Extra projections reduce the effects of measurement errors and film noise. We also present the development of the volumetric flaw model and outline a method for its inversion.
KeywordsSingular Value Decomposition Flaw Model Detector Plane Parallel Beam Geometry Piecewise Linear Curf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wallingford, R. M. and Basart, J. P. in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE. edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, ( Plenum Press, New York, 1989 ), Vol 8a, pp. 351–358.Google Scholar
- 2.Wallingford, R. M. and Basart, J. P., Twenty-Second Annual Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers.(IEEE Computer Society, Maple Press, 1989 ) pp. 68–72.Google Scholar
- 4.Branham, R. L., Computers in Physics. pp. 42–46, May/June, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.Press, W. H., Flannery, B. P., Teukolsky, S. A. and Vetterling, W. T. Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing. Sections 14.2, 14.4, 14. 5. ( Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1988 ).Google Scholar
- 6.Gray, J. N., Inanc, F. and Shull, B. E. in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, ( Plenum Press, New York, 1989 ), Vol. 8a, pp. 345–350.Google Scholar
- 7.Fuller, W. A. Measurement Error Models, Sections 3.2, 3. 3 ( Wiley, New York, 1987 ).Google Scholar