Image Analysis Applied to Slices of History
During the last 10 years, TASC has undertaken several digital image enhancement projects based on nondestructive evaluation (NDE) applications. Most of these projects involved analyzing NDE imagery to determine why a critical part failed to operate as expected, or trying to recover from a failure which degraded NDE imagery or made it difficult to obtain. Examples include our studies of the Inertial Upper Stage nozzle nosecap following the unsuccessful launch of a Tracking Data Relay Satellite in the summer of 1983  and our development of a video data image processing system to enhance, in real time, unevenly lit, poor-contrast signals from within the contaminated Number 2 reactor vessel at Three Mile Island .
KeywordsNational Geographic Tomographic Slice Adaptive Histogram Equalization National Geographic Society Time Capsule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. T. Tom, R. C. Merenyi, M. J. Carlotto, and W G. Heller, “Advanced Enhancement Techniques for Digitized Images,”, in Fifteenth Symposium on Nondestructive Evaluation, edited by D. W. Moore and G. A. Matzkanin ( Nondestructive Testing Information Analysis Center, San Antonio, 1985 ), pp. 68–72.Google Scholar
- 2.R. C. Merenyi, and W. G. Heller, “Video Data Enhancement for Nondestructive Evaluation,” in Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1988 ), Vol. 7A, pp. 705–712.Google Scholar
- 3.B. P. Field V, “U.S. History in a Box,” National Geographic Vol. 175, No. 5, May 1989, pp. 652–660.Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Harris, N. K. Gupta, C. R. Smith, R. T. Bernardi, J. F. Moore, and L. Hediger, “Advanced Computed Tomography Inspection System (ACTIS),” in Proceedings of Joint Army. Navy. Air Force Conference on Rocket Nozzle Technology, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, October 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.ACTIS - Advanced Computed Tomography Inspection System, Bio-Imaging Research Product Description, Lincolnshire, IL.Google Scholar
- 6.V. T. Tom, and G. J. Wolfe, “Adaptive Histogram Equalization and its Applications,” in SPIE Proceedings (Applications of Digital Image Processing IV), Vol. 359, 1982, pp. 204–208.Google Scholar
- 7.W. K. Pratt, Digital Image Processing, ( John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1978 ), pp. 322–326.Google Scholar
- 8.R. M. Poole, “A Bygone Century Comes to Light,” National Geographic, Vol. 176, No. 3, September 1989, pp. 366–369.Google Scholar