A Finite Element Test Bed for Diffraction Tomography
Finite element analysis methods have been successfully applied to the study of ultrasonic wave propagation in elastic solids [1–4]. As a natural part of such numerical solutions. displacements are predicted for every node of the spatial discretization describing the solids geometry and at every instant of time in the temporal discretization used to define the pulse propagation through the material. All of the data constitute a solution to the forward problem and can be used to visualize wavefront propagation and interactions with defects, thus predicting displacement signals at any point in or on the solid.
KeywordsTransmission Mode Reflection Mode Forward Problem Finite Element Analysis Method Diffraction Tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Ludwig and W. Lord, “A Finite Element Formulation for Ultrasonic NDT Modeling,” in Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1985 ), Vol. 4A, p. 37.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Ludwig and W. Lord, “Development in the Finite Element Modeling of Ultrasonic NDT Phenomena,” in Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1986 ), Vol. 5A, p. 73.Google Scholar
- 3.Z. You, W. Lord and R. Ludwig, “Numerical Modeling of Elastic Wave Propagation in Anisotropic Materials” Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti (Plenum Press, New York, 1988), Vol. 7A, p. 23.Google Scholar
- 4.Z. You and W. Lord, “Finite Element Study of Elastic Wave Interaction with Cracks,” Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti (Plenum Press, New York, 1989), Vol. 8A, p. 109.Google Scholar
- 6.R. K. Mueller, M. Kaveh and G. Wade, `Reconstructive Tomography and Application to Ultrasonics,“ Proceedings of IEEE, Vol, 1167, p. 5€ 7 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.K. J. Iangenberg, “Applied Inverse Problems for Acoustic, Electromagnetic and Elastic Wave Scattering,” in Tomography and Inverse Problems, edited by D. C. Sabatico ( Adam Hilger, Philadelphia, 1987 ).Google Scholar
- 11.K. J. Langenberg, K. Mayer, T. Kreutter, V. Schmitz, “Computed Imaging with Elastic Waves,” Proceedings of 12th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Amsterdam (April, 1989 ).Google Scholar