Application of Magnetoacoustic Emission Technique to Temper Embrittlement Characterization of HY-80 Steel
Our previous work has shown that magnetoacoustic emission (MAE) is mainly contributed by the motion of 90° domain walls which lags behind that of 180° domain walls in phase . The amplitude of MAE burst is always higher in the embrittled samples than in unembrittled one for a sufficient level of internal magnetic field. It has been also shown that for a small internal magnetic field, the MAE activity is higher in an unembrittled sample than is in embrittled ones. This is a direct evidence of the effect of potential barriers at the grain boundaries that determine the amplitude of the MAE burst under given conditions . The pulse height analysis of the MAE spectral pattern has been included in our more recent work (3]. The results have shown that the Gaussian- like distribution broadens upon the decrease in impact strength of HY-80 steel samples due to embrittlement up to a certain level.
KeywordsDomain Wall Impact Strength Sample Heat Temper Embrittlement Pulse Height Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Namkung, W. T. Yost, J. L. Grainger, P. W. Kushnick, in Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, Edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, (plenum Press, New York, 1988), Vol. 7B, pp 2075–2080.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Namkung, D. Utrata, W. T. Yost, P. W. Kushnick and J. L. Grainger, in Proc. IEEE 1988 Ultrasonics Symposium, Edited by B. R. McAvoy, ( IEEE Publishing Service, New York, 1988 ), Vol. 2, pp 997–1002.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Namkung, W. T. Yost, D. Utrata, J. L. Grainger and P. W. Kushnick, Submitted to Materials Research Soceity (MRS) Fall Meeting, Boston, MA (November 28 - December 3, 1988).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Namkung, W. T. Yost, D. Utrata, R. DeNale, P. W. Kushnick and J. L. Grainger, “Effects of Uniaxial Stress on Magnetoacoustic Emission and Magnetoacoustic Responses in Steel”, Submitted to this conference.Google Scholar
- 5.S. G. Allison, W. T. Yost, J. H. Cantrell and D. H. Hasson, in Review of Progress in Ouantitative NDE, Edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, (plenum Press, New York, 1987), Vol. 7B, pp 1463–1470.Google Scholar