Ultrasonic Characterization of Porosity in Composites
The determination of levels of porosity is important in the engineering uses of graphite fiber/polymer matrix composites, since the interlaminar shear strength can be greatly reduced by excessive porosity . Research in making nondestructive evaluations using ultrasonics as the probing energy has taken many directions. Hsu  has successfully modeled the frequency dependent attenuation to predict porosity levels in composites. Kline  has extended the work of Hashsin and Rosen  to determine the porosity and fiber volume fraction of composites by solving for the elastic coefficients of the composite structure. The propagation of leaky Lamb waves  has also been used to model porosity levels.
KeywordsPorosity Graphite Attenuation Autocorrelation Rosen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.C.W. Judd and W.W. Wright, SAMPE Journal, 14, NO. 1, pp 10–14, January/February 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.R.A. Kline, Proceedings ENTEX, Dallas, TX, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Bar-Cohen and D.E. Chimenti, Review of Progess in Ouant. it. ative Nondestructive Evaluation, 5B,D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, Eds., ( Plenum Press, NY, 1986 ), pp 1199–1206.Google Scholar
- 6.J.M. Hale and J.N. Aston, NDT International, pp 321–326, October 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.B.T. Smith, J.S. Heyman, J.G. Moore, S.J. Cucura and S.M. Freeman, Review of Progess in Quantitative Nondestructive valuation, 6B, D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, Eds., ( Plenum Press, NY, 1986 ), pp 1239–1244.Google Scholar
- 8.Programs for Digital Signal Processing, Edited by the Digital Signal Processing Committee, IEEE Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing Society, IEEE Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.D.M. Engle, UCRL-52914, May 1980, Lawrerence Livermore Laboratory.Google Scholar
- 12.W.H. Press, B.P. Flannery, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, 1986, pp 523–528.Google Scholar
- 14.B.R. Jones and D.E.W. Stone, Non-Destructiv Testing, April 1976, pp 71–79.Google Scholar