Guided Plate Wave Potential for Damage Analysis of Composite Materials
The emergence of plate waves as a functional approach to the evaluation of thin structures, especially composite plates, has been gradual and steady. This statement may be supported by the increasing attention, in the recent publications[1,2], focussed on leaky Lamb waves in composites. The generation and the characteristics of plate wave modes, although using a quasi-local technique, has already been established and the dispersion relationships are being studied in detail, especially for isotropic cases. In practice, the critical drawbacks which have been detrimental in the widespread deployment of these methods are the complicated mode behavior and a lack of complete understanding of the mechanics involved. Thus, to fully exploit the plate waves, it is imperative that the physics of wave propagation within the thin composite structures be fully explored using experimental methods and be backed by a very strong theoretical basis in order to obtain NDE guidelines for fiber reinforced composite materials.
KeywordsDispersion Curve Composite Plate Fiber Volume Fraction Plate Wave Dispersion Relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Bar-Cohen and Chimenti, D.E., “ NDE of Defects in Composites using Leaky Lamb Waves”, Proc. 11th World Conf. on NDT (Taylor Publishing Co., Dallas, TX), 1985, pp. 202–208.Google Scholar
- 2.A. H. Nayfeh and Chimenti, D.E., “ Propagation of Guided Waves in Fluid Coupled plates of Fiber-Reinforced Composite”, J. of Acoust. Soc. of Am., Vol. 86 (2), 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.K.Balasubramaniam “ Guided Plate Waves and Reflection Factor for NDE of Composite Materials”, A thesis Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, March 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.A.K. Miller and Adams D. F., “ Inelastic Micromechanical Analysis of Graphite/Epoxy Composites Subjected to Hygrothermal Cycling”, Advanced Composite Materials–Environmental Effects, ASTM STP 658, (Ed. J. R. Vinson ), ASTM, 1978, pp. 121–142.Google Scholar
- 8.Rose, J.L., Nestleroth, J.B., and Balasubramaniam, K., “ Utility of Physically Based Feature Mapping in Non-destructive Testing,” Ultrasonics Vol. 26, 1988, pp. 124–131.Google Scholar
- 9.Rose, J.L., Pilarski, A., Balasubramaniam, K., Tverdokhlebov, A., Ditri, J., “Ultrasonic Waves for the Development of an NDE Feature Matrix for Anisotropic Media,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology Vol. 111, July 1989, pp. 256–262.Google Scholar
- 10.Rose, J.L, Balasubramaniam, K., Pilarski, A. and Ditri, J., “ The Utility of Guided Plate Waves in Ultrasonic NDE of Composite Materials,” Proc. of the 12th WCNDT, Amsterdam, Netherlands, April 1989.Google Scholar