Reconstruction of Elastic Constants from Ultrasonic Reflectivity Data in a Fluid Coupled Composite Plate
One of the important requirements for advanced composite materials is satisfaction of structure stiffness to the levels preset by the design. Such a requirement underlines the importance of nondestructive evaluation as a quality control tool to establish equivalence of the elastic properties of a manufactured composite to that of the designed composite. Several recent papers have been devoted to development of such nondestructive techniques, mainly based on application of bulk ultrasonic waves [1–5] and Lamb waves [6–8].
KeywordsElastic Constant Reflection Coefficient Composite Plate Critical Angle Fiber Direction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L. H. Pearson and W. J. Murri, “Measurement of Ultrasonic Wavespeeds in Off-Axis Directions of Composite Materials”, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1987 ), Vol. 6B, pp. 1093–1101.Google Scholar
- 3.R. A. Kline and Z. T. Chen, “Ultrasonic Technique for Global Anisotropic Property Measurement in Composite Materials”, Materials Evaluation 46, 986–992 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.S. I. Rokhlin and W. Wang, “Ultrasonic Evaluation of In-Plane and Out-Plane Elastic Properties of Composite Materials”, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1989 ), Vol. 8B, pp. 1489–1496.Google Scholar
- 5.S. I. Rokhlin and W. Wang, “Critical Angle Measurement of Elastic Constants in Composite Material”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 84, (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.W. R. Rose, S. I. Rokhlin and L. Adler, “Evaluation of Anisotropic Properties of Graphite-Epoxy Composite Using Lamb Waves” in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1987 ), Vol. 6B, pp. 1111–1118.Google Scholar
- 8.V. K. Kinra and V. Dazal, “Ultrasonic NDE of Composites Using Lamb Waves: Theory and Experiment” (this Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 10.M. R. Karim, A. K. Mal and Y. Bar-Cohen, “Determination of the Elastic Constants of Composite Through the Inversion of Leaky Lamb Wave Data”, (this Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 11.S. I. Rokhlin, C. Y. Wu and W. Wang, “Application of Coupled Ultrasonic Plate Modes for Elastic Constant Reconstruction of Anisotropic Composites” (this Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 12.D. E. Chimenti and S. I. Rokhlin, “Reflection Coefficient of a Fluid-Coupled Elastic Layer” (this Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 14.A. K. Mal and Y. Bar-Cohen, “Ultrasonic Characterization of Composite Laminates” Proceedings of the Joint ASME and SES Symposium on Wave Propagation in Structural Composites, A. K. Mal and T. C. T. Ting (eds) AMD, Vol. 90, pp. 1–16 (1988).Google Scholar