Parallel Imaging of Thickness Variations and Disbonding of Thermal Barrier Coatings by Time-Resolved Infrared Radiometry (TRIR)
Pulsed photothermal radiometry has been shown to be a useful thermally-based nondestructive evaluation technique for various thin films and layered specimens [1,2]. In this method the time development of the surface temperature is studied for both heating and cooling, during and after the application of a step heating pulse of duration, T. In this paper, we show that the method gives quantitative information about layered materials including measurement of coating thickness and the detection and characterization of disbonding between layers. Since all times are monitored, it is not necessary to know the thickness of the coating provided the heating pulse is set longer than the thermal transit time of the coating. As a result, both coating thickness and the integrity of the coating-substrate bond can be determined simultaneously.
KeywordsCoating Thickness Thermal Barrier Coating Heat Pulse Zirconia Coating Superalloy Substrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.D. P. Almond, P. M. Patel and H. Reiter, Materials Evaluation 45, 471–475 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.J. C. Murphy, J. W. Maclachlan, and L. C. Aamodt, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1988 ), Vol. 7, pp. 245–252.Google Scholar
- 6.J. W. Maclachlan Spicer, W. D. Kerns, L. C. Aamodt and J. C. Murphy, submitted to J. Nondestruct. Eval. (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Maclachlan, L. C. Aamodt, and J. C. Murphy, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, edited by D. 0. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti (Plenum Press, New York, 1989 ) Vol. 8, pp. 1297–1304.Google Scholar
- 8.L. C. Aamodt, J. W. Maclachlan Spicer, and J. C. Murphy, submitted to Photoacoustic and Photothermal Phenomena, Springer Series in Optical Sciences (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1990 ).Google Scholar
- 9.J. W. Maclachlan Spicer, W. D. Kerns, L. C. Aamodt, and J. C. Murphy, submitted to Photoacoustic and Photothermal Phenomena, Springer Series in Optical Sciences (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1990 ).Google Scholar