Inspection of Compressor Discs by Ultrasonic Leaky Waves Using an Automated C-Scan System
Damage tolerance concepts are currently being investigated for life extension of critical components of military aircraft engines. The successful implementation of the damage tolerance approach is dependent upon the availability and cost effectiveness of nondestructive inspection (NDI) techniques capable of detecting and sizing small cracks with a high degree of reliability. The reliability of NDI techniques can be determined by using a demonstration program in which a statistically valid number of flawed and flaw free parts are inspected by NDI procedures that duplicate proposed maintenance inspections.
KeywordsFatigue Nitride SOUD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Fahr, S. Johar, M.K. Murthy and W.R Sturrock, Surface Acoustic Wave Studies of Surface Cracks in Ceramics. Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Volume 3. 1984. pp. 23.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Fahr, NDE of Structural Ceramics by High Frequency Ultrasonics, Proc. Fifth Canadian Conf. on NDT, published by Atomic Energy of Canada. AECL-8707, 1985, pp. 307.Google Scholar
- 3.T. Derkacs, Ultrasonic Detection of Surface Flaws in Gas Turbine Ceramics. AD/A076–023, TRW Incorporated, Cleveland. Ohio, Aug. 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.B.T. Khuri-Yakub, et al, Nondestructive Evaluation of Ceramics, Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 1. 1982, pp. 601.Google Scholar
- 5.L.J. Bond and N. Safari, Crack Characterization in Turbine Disks. Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE. Vol. 3, 1984, pp. 251.Google Scholar
- 6.N.C. Bellinger, A. Fahr, A.K. Koul, R Gould and P. Stoute, The Reliability and Sensitivity of NDI Techniques in Detecting LCF Cracks in Fastner Bolt Holes of Compressor Discs, NAE LTR-ST-1651, Feb. 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.A.K. Koul, A. Fahr. R Gould and N. Bellinger, Importance of Sensitivity and Reliability of NDI Techniques on Damage Tolerance Based Life Prediction of Turbine Discs. AGARD/SMP Review of Damage Tolerance for Engine Structures, AGARD-R-768, 1988. pp. 4.Google Scholar