Probability of Tight Crack Detection via Eddy-Current Inspection
Among current NDE investigations, one of the important topics is the development of so-called probability-of-detection (POD) models. This activity is important because, given a POD model, one can examine inspection systems quantitatively in terms of flaw detectability. In the area of the eddy-current (EC) testing, there are a few applicable POD models in the literature [1,2]. In this paper, we will report on a generalization of the model constructed by one of the present authors . After the generalization is done, the model becomes applicable to a wider variety of flaws than before.
KeywordsProbability Distribution Function Relative Operating Characteristic Eddy Current Testing Relative Operating Characteristic Curve Eddy Current Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. R. Martinez and A. J. Bahr, “Statistical Detection Model for Eddy-Current Systems,” in Review of Progress in Qpantitarive NDF., edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1984 ), Vol. 3A, pp. 499–510.Google Scholar
- 2.R. E. Beissner, K. A. Bartels, and J. L. Fisher, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NAF, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1988 ), Vol. 7B, pp. 1753–1760.Google Scholar
- 3.R. E. Beissner, “Boundary Element Model of Eddy Current Flaw Detection in Three Dimensions,” J. Appl. Phys. 60, 352 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.N. Nakagawa, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NAF„ edited by D. 0. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1989 ), Vol. 8A, pp. 245–250.Google Scholar
- 5.B. A. Auld, “Theoretical Characterization and Comparison of Resonant-Probe Microwave Eddy-Current Testing with Conventional Low-Frequency Eddy-Current Methods,” in Eddy Current Characterization of Materials and Structures, ASTM STP 722, G. Birnbaum and G. Free, eds., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.J. R. Bowler, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NAF„ edited by D. 0. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti ( Plenum Press, New York, 1986 ), Vol. 5A, pp. 149–155.Google Scholar