Specific Quisqualate Receptor Ligand Blocks Both Kainate and Quisqualate Responses
Excitatory amino acid (EAA) receptors were originally divided in NMDA receptors and nonNMDA receptors based on electrophysiological evidence 1. The non-NMDA subtype of excitatory amino acid receptors can be further subdivided in two types, the kainate and the quisqualate (AMPA•) receptors. GDEE discriminate between the two agonists, being more active against quisqualate induced responses, when administered ionophoretically in vivo; however, this selectivity was not seen with bath application in vitro1,6,7. Another compound GAMS, although weak, show a reasonable degree of non-NMDA receptor antagonism8. Further development of selective kainate and/or AMPA receptor antagonists has been relatively slow.
KeywordsNMDA Receptor AMPA Receptor Neuronal Cell Death Excitatory Amino Acid Mongolian Gerbil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Davies, J., Evans, R.H., Francis, A.A., and Watkins, J.C., 1979, Exicatory amino acid receptors and synaptic excitation in the mammalian central nervous system, J. Physiol. (Paris), 75: 641.Google Scholar
- 2.Krogsgaard-Larsen, P., Honore, P., Hansen, J.J.,Curtis, J.J., and Lodge, D., 1980, New class of glutamate agonist structurally related to ibotenic acid, Nature, 284: 64.Google Scholar
- 3.Honore, T., Lauridsen, J., and Krogsgaard-Larsen, P., 1982, the binding of (3H) AMPA, a structural analogue of glutamic acid, to rat brain membranes, J. Neurochem 38:173.Google Scholar
- 5.Shinozaki, H., and M. Ishida, 1988, Stizolobic acid, a competitive antagonist of the quisqualatetype receptor at the crayfish neuromuscular junction, Brain Res., 451: 353.Google Scholar
- 6.Watkins, J.C., and Evans, R.H., Excitatory amino acid transmitters, Ann. Rev. Pharm. Tox 21:165.Google Scholar
- 8.Drejer, J., Honore, and Schousboe, A., 1987, Excitatory amino acid-induced release of 3H-GABA from cultured mouse cerebral cortex interneurons, J. Neuroci., 7: 2910.Google Scholar
- 10.Fletcher, E.J., Martin, D., Aram, J.A., Lodge, D., and Honore, T., 1988, Quinoxalinediones selectively block quisqualate and kainate receptors and synaptic events in rat neocortex and hippocampus and frog spinal cord in vitro, Br. J. Pharmacol., 95: 585.Google Scholar
- 18.Honore, T., Drejer, J., Nielsen, E.O., and Nielsen, M., 1989, Non-NMDA glutamate receptor antagonist 3H-CNQX binds with equal affinity to two agonist states of quisqualate receptors, Biochem. Pharmacol, in press.Google Scholar
- 19.Nielsen, E.O., Drejer, J., Cha, J.J., Young, A., and Honore, T., 1989, Autoradiographie characterization and localization of quisqualate binding sites in rat brain using the antagonist 3H-CNQX: Comparison with 3H-AMPA binding sites, J. Neurochem, in press.Google Scholar
- 21.Unpublished.Google Scholar