Clinical Experience with Local Hyperthermia in Rotterdam
In the Rotterdam Cancer Center, local hyperthemia has been applied clinically since 1979. Experience has lead to the development of a 433 MHz multi-applicator multi-generator system for heating superfically located tumors.Temperatures are measured using multi point optical fiber probes within closed tip catheters. Hyperthermia is generally given in combination with a series of radiotherapy. At present, 360 patients have been treated on a total of 440 fields (over 3000 treatment sessions). Various analyses of the results achieved have been performed. The findings indicate how and when HT can be useful.
KeywordsComplete Response Rate Recurrent Breast Cancer Cold Spot Radiotherapy Total Dose Recurrent Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4).Hofman P, Lagendijk JJW and Schipper J. (1984). The combination of radiotherapy with hyperthermia in. protocolized clinical studies. In: Hyperthermic Oncology 1984 vol. I Summary papers J. Overgaard,ed. Taylor and Francis, London and Philadelphia, 379–382.Google Scholar
- 5).Jo s, Hiraoka M, Akuta K, Nishimiura Y, Nagata Y,Takahashi M and Abe M (1987). Clinical results of thermoradiotherapy for breast cancer.In:Proceedings of the 3rd annual meeting of the Japanese Society of Hyperthermic Oncology, 339–340.Google Scholar
- 6).Kapp DS, Fessenden P, Cox, R, Bagshaw MS, Lee ER, Prionas SD and Lohrbach A (1988). Combined hyperthermia (HT) and radiation therapy (XRT) in the treament of local regional (LR) recurrences from adenocaracinomas of the breast. Presented at the 5th International Symposium of Hyperthermic Oncology Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- 7).Kjellen E, Lindholm CE and Nilsson P (1988). Radiotherapy in combination with Hyperthermia in recurrent or metastatic mammary carcinomas. Presented at the 5th International Symposium on Hyperthermic Oncology, Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- 8).Luk KH, Pajak TF, Perez CA, Johnson RJ, Conner N and Dobbins T (1984). Prognostic factors for tumor responseafter hyperthermia and radiation.Hyperhermic Oncology vol.I.Summary papers. J. Overgaard, ed. Taylor and Francis, London and Philadelphia, 353–356.Google Scholar
- 10).Perez CA, Kuske RR, Emami B and Fineberg B (1986). Irradiation alone or combined with hyperthermia in the treatment of recurrent carcinoma of the breast in the chest wall. A nonrandomized comparison. Int. J.Hyperthermia 2, 179–187Google Scholar
- 12).Seegenschmiedt MH, Brady LW, Sauer R,Karlsson Herbst M, Tobin R, radiation therapy for superficial chestwall recurrences. Presented at the 8th meeting of the NAHG.Google Scholar
- 13).Storme G and Berge D Vanden (1988). Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 15).Zee J van der, Treurniet-Donker AD, The SK, Helle PA, Seldenrath JJ, Meerwaldt JH, Wijnmaalen AJ, Berg AP van den, Rhoon GC van, Broekmeyer-Reurink MP and Reinhold HS (1988). Low dose rerradiation in combination with hyperthermia: a palliative treatment in combination with breast cancer recruing in previously irradiation areas. Int.J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys. 15, 1407–1413.CrossRefGoogle Scholar