A Case Study of Comprehensive Cultural Change: Aligning the Business, Human Resource, and Change Strategies
As business becomes more highly competitive and interdependent, and the workforce reflects increasing multicultural diversity, organizations have been looking for new ideas to help them address these challenges. Galbraith has written about new organization design; Bennis, leaders; Garfield, peak performers; Peters and Waterman, customer focus; and Porter, competitive strategy (Galbraith, 1977; Bennis & Nanus, 1985; Garfield, 1986; Peters & Waterman, 1982; Porter, 1980). However, as you look at what happens inside many organizations, it is apparent that what exists on paper does not successfully get translated into organizational life nor can it be sustained. There is little attention given to the integration of the behaviors necessary to support these new designs.
KeywordsSenior Management Organization Design Change Strategy Critical Success Factor Common Principle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennis, Warren and Burt Nanus. Leaders, (New York: Harper and Row, 1985).Google Scholar
- Casper, J., Amidon, E. and Morey, R. To Speak or Not to Speak: Effective Management Interaction, (St. Paul: Paul Amidon Associates, 1988).Google Scholar
- Hanna, David P. Designing New Organizations, (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1988).Google Scholar
- Galbraith, Jay R. Organization Design, (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1977).Google Scholar
- Garfield, Charles. Peak Performers, (New York: Avon Books, 1986).Google Scholar
- Lewin, Kurt. Field Theory in Social Science, (New York: Harper & Row, 1951).Google Scholar
- Peters, Thomas J. and Waterman, Jr., Robert H. In Search of Excellence, (New York: Harper and Row, 1982).Google Scholar
- Porter, Michael E. Competitive Strategy, (New York: Free Press, 1980).Google Scholar
- Schein, Edgar H. Organizational Culture and Leadership, (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1985).Google Scholar
- Tichy, Noel M. Managing Strategic Change: Technical, Political and Cultural Dynamics, (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1983).Google Scholar
- Weisbord, Marvin R. Productive Workplaces, (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1987).Google Scholar