Fundamentals of Neutron Diffraction
The purpose of this article is to describe the differences between neutron diffraction and X-ray diffraction, and to give specific examples of how these differences have been exploited in the study of biological structures. Those who wish a comprehensive treatment of this topic can turn to a number of reviews and symposium volumes that deal with the application of neutron scattering to biological problems (Schoenborn and Nunes, 1972; Engelman and Moore, 1975; Jacrot, 1976; Kneale et al., 1977; Moore, 1982; Schoenborn, 1984).
KeywordsNeutron Diffraction Neutron Scattering Neutron Beam Biological Macromolecule Brookhaven National Laboratory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bacon, G.E., 1975, Neutron Diffraction, Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Capel, M.S., Engelman, D.M., Freeborn, B.R., Kjeldgaard, M., Langer, J.A., Ramakrishnan, V., Schindler, D.G., Schneider, D.K., Schoenborn, B.P., Sillers, L-Y., Yabuki, S. and Moore, P.B., 1987, A complete mapping of the positions of the proteins in the small ribosomal subunit of E. coli, Science 238:1327.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cheng, X. and Schoenborn, B.P., 1989, Hydration in protein crystals, Acta Crystallogr., in press.Google Scholar
- Guinier, A. and Fournet, G., 1955, “Small angle scattering of X-rays,” Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Moore, P.B., 1982, Small angle scattering techniques for the study of biological macromolecules and macromolecular aggregates, Meth. Exp. Phys. 20:3370.Google Scholar
- Novotny, V., May, R.P. and Nierhaus, K.H., 1986, in: “Structure, Function and Genetics of Ribosomes,” Hardesty, B. and Kramer, G., eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Schoenborn, B.P., ed., 1975, “Neutron scattering for the analysis of biological structures,” Brookhaven Symposia in Biology, volume 27, U.S. Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Schoenborn, B.P., ed., 1984, “Neutrons in Biology,” Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Teeter, M. and Kossiakoff, A.A., 1984, The neutron structure of the hydrophobic plant protein crambin, in: “Neutrons in Biology,” Schoenborn, B.P., ed., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Wlodawer, A. and Sjolin, L., 1984, Application of joint neutron and X-ray refinement to t he investigation of the structure of ribonuclease A at 2.0 Å resolution, in: “Neutrons in Biology,” Schoenborn, B.P. ed., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar