Mass Spectrometric Methods for Determination of the Structure of Peptides and Proteins
Mass spectrometry (MS) has long been known as a sensitive method of characterizing compounds that are small, thermally stable, and sufficiently volatile to be vaporized into the vacuum system of the spectrometer. It was not, however, until the early 1980s that the method became applicable to large, polar molecules, with the development by Barber et al. (1981) of fast-atom-bombardment (FAB) ionization. This ionization method produces protonated molecules, (M + H)+, by bombarding a solution of the compound of interest (M)+, in a suitable liquid of very low vapor pressure, such as glycerol, with neutral atoms (or ions) of kilovolt kinetic energy.
KeywordsRabbit Bone Marrow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chatton, B., Walter, P., Ebel, J. P., Lacroute, F., and Fasiolo, F., 1988, The yeast VAS! gene encodes both mitochondria] and cytoplasmic valyl-tRNA synthetases, J. Biol. Chem. 263: 5257.Google Scholar
- Hill, J. A., Biller, J. E., Martin, S. A., Biemann, K., and Ishihara, M., 1989b, A flexible array detector of extended mass range for a high performance tandem mass spectrometer, Proceedings 37th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Miami, American Society of Mass Spectrometry, pp. 1077–1078.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. S., and Biemann, K., 1988, Computer program for the interpretation of CID mass spectra obtained from peptides of unknown sequence, Presented at the 36th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, San Francisco, CA, pp. 1398–1399.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. S., Mathews, W. R., Biemann, K., and Hopper, S., 1988a, Amino acid sequence of thioredoxin isolated from rabbit bone marrow determined by tandem mass spectrometry, J. Biol. Chem. 263: 9589–9597.Google Scholar
- Sato, K., Asada, T., Ishihara, M., Kunihiro, F., Kammei, Y., Kubota, E., Costello, C. E., Martin, S. A., Scoble, H. A., Biemann, K., 1987, High performance tandem mass spectrometry: Calibration and performance of linked scans of a four-sector instrument, Anal. Chem. 59: 1652–1659.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vath, J. E., Ph.D. Thesis, Microscale derivatization of peptides and glycolipids for mass spectrometry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990.Google Scholar