Knowledge-Based Protein Modeling and the Design of Novel Molecules
Each year protein crystallographers determine about 30 new three-dimensional protein structures, most of which are published in some form, and many of which are deposited in the Brookhaven Protein Databank (Bernstein et al., 1977). Some of these are novel arrangements of a polypeptide chain, but others represent classes of structure that have been observed earlier in other proteins. Thus, each year we learn about an increasing proportion of the folds available to a polypeptide chain.
KeywordsAspartic Proteinase Renin Inhibitor Distance Geometry Equivalent Residue Human Renin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bashford, D., Chothia, C., and Lesk, A. M., 1987, Determinants of a protein fold: unique features of the globin amino acid sequence, 196: 199–216.Google Scholar
- Blundell, T. L., Jenkins, J., Pearl, L., and Sewell, T., 1985, The high resolution structure of endothiapepsin, in: Aspartic Proteinases and Their Inhibitors ( V. Kostka, ed.), pp. 151–161. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Blundell, T. L., Barlow, D., Sibanda, B. L., Thornton, J. M., Taylor, W., Tickle, I. J., Sternberg, M. J. E., Pitts, J. E., Haneef, I., and Hemmings, A. M., 1986, Three-dimensional structural aspects of the design of new protein molecules, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. 317: 333–344.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Crippen, G. M., 1977, A novel approach to calculation of conformation: Distance geometry, J. Comp. Physiol. 24: 96–107.Google Scholar
- Efimov, A. V., 1986, The conformation of beta-turns, Mol. Biol. (Moscow) 20: 2250–2260 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Foundling, S. I., Cooper, S. I., Watson, J., Cleasby, F. E., Pearl, L. H., Sibanda, B. L., Hemmings, A., Wood, S. P., Blundell, T. L., Valler, T. L., Norey, Kay, J., Boger, J., Dunn, B. M., Leckie, B. J., Jones, D. M., Atrash, B., Hallett, A., and Szelke, M., 1987, High resolution X-ray analyses of renin inhibitor—aspartic proteinase complexes, Nature 327: 349–352.Google Scholar
- Hubbard, T. J. P., 1988, The design, expression and characterization of a novel protein, Ph.D. thesis, University of London.Google Scholar
- McGregor, M. J., Islam, S. A., and Sternberg, M. J. E., 1987, Analysis of the relationship between side-chain conformation and secondary structure in globular proteins, J. Mol. Biol. 198:295–310.Google Scholar
- Overington, J. P., Sutcliffe, M. J., Watson, F., James, K., Campbell, S., and Blundell, T. L., 1988, The knowledge-based modelling of tissue-type plasminogen activator and its interactions with its inhibitor endothelial cell plasminogen activator inhibitor, Proceedings of the 8th International Biotechnology Symposium, Vol. 1, Paris, pp. 279–304.Google Scholar
- Sutcliffe, M. J., 1988, An automated approach to the systematic model building of homologous proteins, Ph.D. thesis, University of London.Google Scholar